Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 1.6 tdci, burning oil, smoking

Robbie94

Hi, 

I have recently bought a 2011 1.6tdci Ford Fiesta with 80k on clock.

Was smoking a fair amount after a month of buying it also burnt a litre of oil in 1000miles, took it back to seller and they advised turbo was faulty, this got changed For a Brand new replacement and had a oil change. Hoping all problems solved

however the oil service change light keeps coming on and has done since purchasing, also still having to top up the oil weekly. Car smokes more now since the turbo has been changed also drinking slightly more Diesel, on idle if you apply accelerator exhaust pumps out sooty black smoke.

occasional juddering when accelerating and loss of power, I then check oil and it’s at half on the indicator, top up to maximum and juddering stops, 

no signs of oil leaks under car or in engine bay, no loud knocking noises, however bad smell of fumes in cabin when starting up. Currently being driven around 300 miles a week. 

Would anyone have any ideas on what this 

thank you 

When was the egr valve serviced (if diesel) can really play a car up if clogged ? feel oily if you catch some in your hand ? theses additives work like redex fuel treatment stp fuel and dmf cleaner etc.

"on idle if you apply accelerator exhaust pumps out sooty black smoke". Not sure if you mean touching the accelerator a tad or pressing it hard.  I have heard that black smoke on acceleration (like when driving it) can be due to air an leak in the boost pipe between the turbo and the inlet manifold. so when the turbo gets going it pushes air through that pipe under pressure and the pressure getting to manifold is not enough as the pressurised air is escaping, so the fuel being squirted in is higher than the air, the car is expecting more air to match the fuel, but the air is lacking.  but not always easy to find where the leak is when engine is idling as it is not pressurised when idling.  I don't think that would explain oil consumption though. 

isetta has a point, the car running rich on fuel but lacking air, thus creathing thick black smoke! As with the oil consumption, i would suggest a compression test on the cylinders and see if things are good there. It might be an issue with the piston rings.

If it's burning oil that fast I would say that 80K miles is not correct, more like 280K. The diesel issue could be a number of things, the first I would look for is over fuelling, injectors delivering too much fuel and not atomising, nozzles worn or burnt out. Does the engine get hot? Second would be the Mass Air Meter, see if it's carboned up and then the EGR. One more suggestion, if you've recently bought it, take it back and get the previous owner to sort it out. Sounds a bit of a lemon.

Is it the 16v engine?  They are infamous for carbon deposits which block oilways and ultimately wreck turbos...just fitting a new turbo without cleaning out the entire oil system will see the new turbo blow quickly again.

Sounds like you have a few different issues going on there though.  Black smoke is most likely to be excess diesel, usually from a loose/split boost hose or a knackered turbo not providing enough boost.  oil level at half way between min & max should be absolutely fine, shouldn't need to be full to max at all.

There isn't an oil quality sensor on the 2011 Fiesta so I'm not sure which light is coming on?  Is it oil pressure (red teapot), is it a service reminder or is it a malfunction message?  If it's just a service reminder you can reset this yourself by holding the brake and throttle pedals down while switching on the ignition only (not engine start) and waiting a few seconds for it to reset.

Could pop the rocker cover of see if there is any gunk around the injectors which might be a leaky injector seal?

Over fuelling delivery usually gives a lot of white smoke, un-burnt diesel, black smoke usually signifies oil burning off or an oily sludgy engine inside. Take a look at the engine breather/recycler, if that's blocked it could create the problem.

11 hours ago, Milkman said:

Over fuelling delivery usually gives a lot of white smoke, un-burnt diesel, black smoke usually signifies oil burning off or an oily sludgy engine inside. Take a look at the engine breather/recycler, if that's blocked it could create the problem.

That's not quite correct.  Overfuelling (or underboosting) is still generally partly burnt, so produces black smoke & soot.  White smoke is unburnt, which is generally either a faulty glowplug causing a total missfire or the turbo exhaust seal leaking oil into the hot exhaust on a diesel engine. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club