Sign in to follow this  
Callum1499

Indicator Relay/Indicators Flashing

Hi, 

Not sure if this is the right area to post this. But, I’ve recently swapped out my halogen indicator bulbs with LED ones. When I indicate they flash very quickly, unless I lock the car or press the hazard light then they flash normally. I assume this is because when you indicate you’re not lighting up all the bulbs so it’s using less power resulting in it flashing quicker.

All I would like to know is if anyone else has had this issue and how they fixed it. And if I’d need to replace the indicator relay and if so, where do I find it on my car?

my car is a 2010 Diesel Fiesta Zetec S 125BHP.

thank you.

You'll probably need resistors fitted to give more load on the circuit.
Agreed.
Led bulbs hsve lower resistance than standard bulbs produces the same effect as a blown bulb in the indicator circuit.
An inline resistor on each side will solve the problem but site them carefully as they get quite warm (don't have them near anything that may melt).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Agreed.
Led bulbs hsve lower resistance than standard bulbs produces the same effect as a blown bulb in the indicator circuit.
An inline resistor on each side will solve the problem but site them carefully as they get quite warm (don't have them near anything that may melt).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ive had to repair a classic mini (a simple task compared to the confines of modern motors) with LED conversion (fitted by someone else), it was more problematic to repair the wiring loom than it would have been to fit resistors.

Anyway back on topic, you can get LED bulbs with resistors built in, or it might be easier to just fit the resistors into the wiring harnesses on each bulb. 

Hope this helps

Cal

Thanks guys much appreciated. I’ll take a look. I’m guessing this is why you spend the extra and get Autobeam rather than ones from amazon haha