Sign in to follow this  
Pyromaniax

Question about Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost gearbox

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

So I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the gearbox in my car. I have a 2013 Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 125.

I have scoured around the net and across all forums but am still not sure what I shoul do. So as most may know, these gearboxes are famed for synchro issues especially when remapped.

I am looking into remapping mine, stuck between REVO and Bluefin at the moment. Only thinking about stage 1 for the mo. I've read the pros and cons but if anyone has experience with either then feedback would be appreciated.

Now I know the gearboxes don't like the extra torque. So I need advice on what I can do to prevent breaking it.

I have seen some say use the 6speed ST gearboxes, others say look towards pumaspeed.

As I said I am a novice on this so any help would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

your gearbox is 5 speed manual , its called IB5 gearbox, the maximum torque this gearbox can handle is 170NM , which is just enough to handle the stock map, going for the ST gearbox is a much safer solution in my opinion 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes as Ahmad says, the box is right on the limit as standard. There seems to be a degree of luck involved here, some members have had remaps and had no problems, others have reported repeated failures even with standard cars, particularly the 140ps version.

If you are looking at the 6 speed route, Pumaspeed as you mention do a 6 speed conversion for £2,000 and upwards, depending on whether used parts are employed. 

This thread is a very comprehensive guide to doing it yourself:

 

The other alternative of course is simply to put your cash towards trading up to an ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it not be easier to get a gearbox from a Fiesta ST rather than a Focus ST?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pyromaniax said:

Would it not be easier to get a gearbox from a Fiesta ST rather than a Focus ST?

The box mentioned in the thread is from a 1.0 ecoboost Focus which came with a 6 speed box, not a Focus ST. Can't comment from experience unfortunately but I think the reason for use of a Focus box is that there are more around second hand. There is actually a Fiesta ST180 box on eBay at the mo but whether or not that would be an easier conversion I'm unable to say. The Focus 1.0 ecoboost and ST180 are both IB6 gearboxes.

Another alternative which might be starting to appear in breakers is the 6 speed 6MTT215 used on the current Fiesta Mk 8 1.0 but again I've not seen anyone try this yet. Despite the "215" the Getrag website says this will handle up to 240nm.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-ST-180-13-17-1-6-Petrol-6-Speed-manual-gearbox-C1BR7002GD/283765360206?pageci=eaff5aff-2d68-4c71-9e93-aead31490d23&redirect=mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, Pyromaniax said:

I am looking into remapping mine, stuck between REVO and Bluefin at the moment. Only thinking about stage 1 for the mo. I've read the pros and cons but if anyone has experience with either then feedback would be appreciated.

Now I know the gearboxes don't like the extra torque. So I need advice on what I can do to prevent breaking it.

Hi All (just joined)

I was in exactly the same position as you Pyromaniax a year ago. I chose Bluefin stage 1 remap which i can recommend, super simple and been 100% reliable.

As of yet I have no issues with my IB5 box, I do try as much as possible to never go full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear as i believe these are heavily torque limited on the stock map? I also dont 'bang' gears when driving quickly and try my best to be gentle to the box which i think helps.

Just the reasoning behind my modified 1.0L - i couldn't afford an ST at the time, started doing small mod's, got addicted to modding and before you know it I've spent a fortune doing all sorts. I would recommend buying an ST if your going down the same road as me, but if you really are just wanting a remap, go for it - you wont believe the difference stage 1 makes, up to you if you change the gearbox. I always planned if my box broke to replace with an IB6, so if you arn't upgrading your box, keep that in the back of your mind!

Luke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 12:37 PM, Pyromaniax said:

Would it not be easier to get a gearbox from a Fiesta ST rather than a Focus ST?

You will need both as the Fiesta ST has a different bell housing shape to the 1.0 the difference being the postion of the starter motor. What you would have to do is split both gearboxes and swap the bell housings. Its far cheeper to just buy 6 speed from a Focus 1.0 Mk3 made from 2012 with the 123bhp engine the only downside is that the gearbox is shorter than the standard 5 speed from the fiesta 1.0. On the plus side you gain in aceleration. see my thread is I have gone over the different ratios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a MK7.5 100hp before and remapped it with BRPerformance Stage 1. Ended up with 142hp on the dyno and the difference on the road was insane. Also lowered fuel consumption at low "right foot" power.

The gearbox never complained because i never missed a shift or never used full power at 1st or 2nd gears. If you can get a map that doesn't remove the torque limits on those lower gears then you should be fine. Or just drive it carefully.

I'm looking forward to remapping my 125hp MK8 but REVO has no maps yet for the GPF version and I still can't decide if bluefin is really safe or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The box mentioned in the thread is from a 1.0 ecoboost Focus which came with a 6 speed box, not a Focus ST. Can't comment from experience unfortunately but I think the reason for use of a Focus box is that there are more around second hand. There is actually a Fiesta ST180 box on eBay at the mo but whether or not that would be an easier conversion I'm unable to say. The Focus 1.0 ecoboost and ST180 are both IB6 gearboxes.

Another alternative which might be starting to appear in breakers is the 6 speed 6MTT215 used on the current Fiesta Mk 8 1.0 but again I've not seen anyone try this yet. Despite the "215" the Getrag website says this will handle up to 240nm.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-ST-180-13-17-1-6-Petrol-6-Speed-manual-gearbox-C1BR7002GD/283765360206?pageci=eaff5aff-2d68-4c71-9e93-aead31490d23&redirect=mobile

Do you have any pointers to where it says 240nm? I’ve seen the 215nm figure thrown around so curious to see the official statement on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If you click on the link, scroll down until you come to 6MTT215, then click on "technical specifications" it should download a PDF - it mentions it on there. 

https://www.getrag-ford.com/en/products.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG97 said:

Do you have any pointers to where it says 240nm? I’ve seen the 215nm figure thrown around so curious to see the official statement on it

See post above - something went wrong in quoting your post!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

 

If you click on the link, scroll down until you come to 6MTT215, then click on "technical specifications" it should download a PDF - it mentions it on there. 

https://www.getrag-ford.com/en/products.html

Thanks for that, much appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this