Sign in to follow this  
Fordoor

Car key problems

I managed to lose my keys back in October and called an auto locksmith to make me two new ones, one remote one not. Recently the remote one stopped unlocking the doors (it would still start the ca) , I've contacted the auto locksmith several times but he will not respond. 

I decided to try to buy a key fob from ebay and put the transponder in it. The new case has now stopped starting the car completely. I tried to get the car in to learning mode but to no avail. What are my options here? I don't fancy forking out £100 for yet another key, I know that the auto locksmith should be the one to sort this but he's simply not responding. Just seem strange that it's stopped recognising the key after simply moving it to a new case? 

Cheers! 

Have you tried fitting a new battery in the fob? Re-programming procedure should be in the owners handbook.

Hi milkman, 

Yeah the new case came with a battery (tried a new battery in the old case but it wouldn't unlock remotely) but it won't start the car at all now. I'm wondering if there is another chip somewhere in the key.. 

Will check owners manual tomorrow, cheers for that. 

The circuit board is purely for central locking.
The transponder is either a small glass tube or a flat grey/black chip near the top of the key.

ab4be48eca82dc80e68c209f41f58c28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The circuit board is purely for central locking.
The transponder is either a small glass tube or a flat grey/black chip near the top of the key.

ab4be48eca82dc80e68c209f41f58c28.jpg

This makes perfect sense. Can't really figure out where the chip would be on this one (focus three button flip) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163941380781

But I'll scour Google to see if it has any suggestions, nice one. 

The chip will be in the cap where the blade attaches.
Just attach the new button section to the original cap and you will be able to sync the remote locking (the car needs to detect a paired transponder chip to release the immobiliser and allow programming).

Ok, I've managed to get it firing again by swapping the key cap over like you said - cheers stoney! 

I simply cannot get it to enter learning mode after following the manual suggestion several times over (position 0-ii, four times) anyone have any other suggestions? 

Actually scratch that, it seems like it needed to be position I-ii.

All the same, despite getting the chime, I  still can't get it to remotely unlock. this new key was just an empty case, might I need a new circuit board for the remote part?