Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newly Bought Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCI Cold Start Issue

mabseyuk

Hi,

I've always driven Petrol Cars, but decided for a change, so bought a 13 Plate Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCI 163ps Diesel from a dealer. Everything seemed fine, except cold starts in the morning. I get in the car, push the stop start button and the engine just turns over, but nothing engages. It could turn over for 10 to 15 seconds with nothing. Then I stop it and press start again and it starts pretty much straight away, however feels a little lumpy for 10 seconds before settling down. I have already had it back to the dealer once, who believed they fixed this issue, but clearly not. If I try and start the car again within a cople of hours, its starting first time, but if I leave it over night, then this problem is here. Is this common or is there a bigger problem here? I'm going to send it back to the dealer again, but I'm at the point where I wonder whether to keep it, or refund it as getting bad vibes.

Thanks

Dave

Ok,

So a further update. I had the bonnet up this morning, and was watching the fuel line plastic pipe. It was empty before, and when the stop start button is pushed, the car just turns over for 20 seconds and no petrol is going through the fuel pipe. After stopping and trying again, after 5 seconds the fuel comes through, the car starts lumpy and then cuts out. On the next start, car runs fine and can be driven. Its been back to the dealer once, and they replaced the fuel filter, but that doesnt seem to have fixed it. Do you think this could be fuel pump or pressure regulator or something?

Dave

That fuel line should be permanently full of fuel, and the system isn't designed to urge air itself that has to be done when the filter is replaced etc. It could be one pocket of air that simply need to be removed, or it could be an air leak that needs to be cured and then purged. These work with only a pump on the engine, none in the tank so it's effectively sucking diesel up from the tank, that's why you cannot assume there's no air leak just because there isn't a fuel leak.

If it's less than 6 months from purchase, then it's for the dealer to fix.

Thanks very much for replying. I've passed this onto the dealer for comment. When I spoke to them earlier, the Mechanic had taken the car, and blamed the injectors, claiming its a common fault. Not sure how the injectors can cause this issue? Dont know enough about what he was saying here.

This is the same mechanic when i put it in for the same problem last week that changed the Fuel Filter.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic, did you eventually get this problem sorted? What cured the problem? 

• 2 years later...
On 2/22/2020 at 11:07 PM, mabseyuk said:

Thanks very much for replying. I've passed this onto the dealer for comment. When I spoke to them earlier, the Mechanic had taken the car, and blamed the injectors, claiming its a common fault. Not sure how the injectors can cause this issue? Dont know enough about what he was saying here.

This is the same mechanic when i put it in for the same problem last week that changed the Fuel Filter.

I have the same problem.  The car start with no problem but idle after 1-2mins.  Then struggle to start.  Ford garage done com rail pressue test, injector test, fuel in line pressure test all come fine.  Now they give up.  

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club