Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked rear arch + scratches

Louis W

BCE9685E-A1CE-4E5E-94AE-0E97037CC3CD.thumb.jpeg.e77d5c037fd437357e04bd5d9ec2a8d9.jpegA lad I was parked up next to has reversed into my rear arch (Fiesta edge 2010).  Absolutely gutted as it’s my first car. Looking like the whole side panel needs replacing, before I go through insurance can anyone recommend anything that could be done? Right side reflectors smashed too and there’s a crack in the rear bumber

BA85CD9A-5B01-46D5-B2A1-9500387AE77C.jpeg

2C02EA8D-B4D9-45BE-BE60-B86462D9FAA8.jpeg

Edited by Louis W
Just to show pictures
  • Sad 1

Doesn't look that bad, a body shop should be able to manipulate and fill that. Especially the bumper, it just looks like it has some minor scuffs that will easy be sanded back, skim coated and painted.

A new rear quarter panel is major surgery. It wouldn't suprise me if the insurance wrote it off for that reason.

Nothing worse! Only last week I watched an old chap reversing out of a space and then he pushed against our front bumper, I blurts on my horn but he still reverses into our car, pushing our car down and his car going up in the air!!! ....I jumps out the car and went bonkers at him, banging on the roof of his car, he just looks at me then he still drives off, I runs over to the otherside of the carpark and flags him down, totally crapped myself as he nearly ran me down in the process 🙌 I pulled open his door and told him he's going nowhere as you've hit our car, he then says...''I thought it was a bit tight'' ...Goes back over to look at our car and unbelievable there was no damage, just muck & a brush mark which rubbed off.

Went back over to him and told him our car is ok,This old guy was about 70ish years of age and couldn't see for ***** and started crying and asks if I'm going to phone the police as he shouldn't be driving as he can't see well to drive and needs glasses but his car was a brand new disability car, I said to him you shouldn't be driving then as you'll kill someone in the end, as I goes back to our car for a second look to ensure it is ok, turns round and the old chap had f-ing gone!

Regarding you damage, it's not that bad and a decent body-shop will knock most of the dint out to the rear of the arch & fillered & repainted, just don't go to one body-shop though, go to several and get quotes and see any of their work they are already doing, that shouldn't cost no more than £400 to fix,  my main concern would be the colour match, many will be spot on match but there's many a car on the roads with different shades of colours which look awful, so do quizz them about the paint match and will it be spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pity you didn't get his reg number and a picture of him in the car...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

It's at times like that when I should have a dash cam! Car he was driving looked brand new and it was a red four door Vauxhall Corsa with a body kit on it, just like this one...

vauxhall-corsa-2018-783l.jpg

Just be careful with the body shop.   My wife had a little knock on her car some years ago and we wanted to go to a main dealer but the insurance people insisted we go to a local body shop.   When I went to pick the car up it was covered in scratches.   I pointed this out and the guy said that they had had a flood and the cleaners had been swinging their buckets about and had caught some of the cars.   When I had a closer look the boot lid was off centre and the boot was a different colour to the rest of the car.   We informed the insurance and the car went to a main dealer for fixing and a respray.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have never understood that with insurance companies. The Mrs had a knock many moons ago where someone reversed into her Swift in an Asda filling station.

Anyway, the insurance company decided they wanted to use a repair company around 70 miles away! There are many decent ones in the Hull area with a good reputation.

She demanded that it wasn't driven there. They had to collect it on a low loader and return it on one....

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

I have never understood that with insurance companies. The Mrs had a knock many moons ago where someone reversed into her Swift in an Asda filling station.

Anyway, the insurance company decided they wanted to use a repair company around 70 miles away! There are many decent ones in the Hull area with a good reputation.

She demanded that it wasn't driven there. They had to collect it on a low loader and return it on one....

Ridiculous decision.   What would the delivery and return have cost?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mavroz said:

It was a school friend and he’s cooperating with me, I’m just worried it might be a write off 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Doesn't look that bad, a body shop should be able to manipulate and fill that. Especially the bumper, it just looks like it has some minor scuffs that will easy be sanded back, skim coated and painted.

A new rear quarter panel is major surgery. It wouldn't suprise me if the insurance wrote it off for that reason.

I’ve buffed most of the scratches out, but the cracks are worrying me. Especially because they cover two different panels 

i know it mentions colour match above. another problem you sometimes see, the colour looks fine when the job is finished but a few months later it is weathering differently and after a year the resprayed part looks very matt and dull. I think this happens when they don't put lacquer on top of the metallic paint and the metallic particles weather badly.  perhaps someone who works in a bodyshop can comment on that aspect. if it is going to match properly and stay matched for years it needs doing well

8 hours ago, Louis W said:

It was a school friend and he’s cooperating with me, I’m just worried it might be a write off 

Claim off his insurance, if they won't repair it or get funny about it don't take no for an answer, his fault, his insurance liability, it wasn't your fault so why should you pay for it?

Any insurance repairs carried out should be done to a satisfactory standard and an acceptance form should be given to the vehicle owner to sign if they are satisfied with the work carried out by the repairer, if you're not satisfied then don't sign it until it's done to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobr said:

Ridiculous decision.   What would the delivery and return have cost?

Yeah, tell me.

The other parties insurers obviously paid the transport costs, it was their decision.

She did right not wanting the miles putting on her car when there are accident repair centres approx 6 miles from where we live. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, Louis W said:

BCE9685E-A1CE-4E5E-94AE-0E97037CC3CD.thumb.jpeg.e77d5c037fd437357e04bd5d9ec2a8d9.jpegA lad I was parked up next to has reversed into my rear arch (Fiesta edge 2010).  Absolutely gutted as it’s my first car. Looking like the whole 

Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin side panel needs replacing, before I go through insurance can anyone recommend anything that could be done? Right side reflectors smashed too and there’s a crack in the rear bumber

BA85CD9A-5B01-46D5-B2A1-9500387AE77C.jpeg

2C02EA8D-B4D9-45BE-BE60-B86462D9FAA8.jpeg

I pointed this out and the guy said that they had had a flood and the cleaners had been swinging their buckets about and had caught some of the cars.

That statement you were given about the cleaners swinging buckets is a load of rubbish, that amount of damage was definitely not caused by a bucket, it would have taken a much larger object creating a much greater force of impact than that, sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. I would pursue it further if you already have not.