Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oxygen Sensor fault after replacing Gearbox and clutch

Oakley

Hi,

I've posted on here a few times and it’s been quite helpful. 

I have just picked my car up after having my gearbox refurbished, New clutch installed and new gear cables installed which was quite a costly job, and about 30 seconds after I drove the car away from the mechanics My engine warning light came on. I took it straight back and they plugged it in and told me that it was an Oxygen sensor problem. They reset it so the light went off and about 3 miles later it came back on. I haven't managed to Take the car back just yet as the garage has closed until next Friday however I’d like to know if this is Could be related to the work that has just been done or if it could be my catalytic converters failing? 

Is the car safe to drive until it’s fixed and will it cause extra damage to the car if I continue to drive it?  

thanks 

They should have test drove the car and would have noticed the sensor was showing a fault. A good garage would replace it without any fuss. A bad garage would say nothing and let the customer drive it away. Probably the sensor go knocked when they changed the clutch and gearbox.

I had a power steering sensor damaged when my clutch was changed. It later failed the mot due to a leak around the sensor. The mot garage said the sensor got knocked when the clutch was changed and had been leaking for sometime. It cost me £100 to fix it.

There are 2 sensors upstream and downstream. An obd2 code reader would show you what one was faulty. And you could check the sensor voltages to see it working. If the garage try and charge you for fixing the problem I would look at going somewhere else to get it fixed.

1 hour ago, Kevin#95 said:

They should have test drove the car and would have noticed the sensor was showing a fault. A good garage would replace it without any fuss. A bad garage would say nothing and let the customer drive it away. Probably the sensor go knocked when they changed the clutch and gearbox.

I had a power steering sensor damaged when my clutch was changed. It later failed the mot due to a leak around the sensor. The mot garage said the sensor got knocked when the clutch was changed and had been leaking for sometime. It cost me £100 to fix it.

There are 2 sensors upstream and downstream. An obd2 code reader would show you what one was faulty. And you could check the sensor voltages to see it working. If the garage try and charge you for fixing the problem I would look at going somewhere else to get it fixed.

Cheers mate, I am going to take it back to them to fix however I have noticed a little condensation leaking from behind my back box when I start my car, I’ll insert a picture below. Could this be a whole in the exhaust and if so would this be causing the sensor to ping up? 

1D37F7D7-19AD-4FD9-8D6C-6456BB903537.jpeg

Yes. The downstream O2 sensor 2 could read wrong. See what the garage say.

15 hours ago, Kevin#95 said:

Yes. The downstream O2 sensor 2 could read wrong. See what the garage say.

Thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club