Sign in to follow this  
Blatto

Lockdown cleaning

Since I've had much more time on my hands during the lockdown I've been treating my car to a bit of extra cleaning/protection.

Two products I'm really impressed with so far :-

For the paintwork (and plastic trim etc...) I've been using Turtlewax Hybrid Ceramic coating. Really easy to use and although it's £18 a bottle you only need to use it once every 6 months or so and you use very small amounts, I reckon this will last me for at least 5 years. Brings up a really deep glossy shine and protection with very little effort. 

And since my ST-Line X has partial leather seats I thought I'd give them some protection, so I used Renapur balsam which I bought for my leather walking boots but can be used for car leather as well.

Was about £10 a tub but again as it says on the instructions you use very little and is good for about 500 pairs of boots and 50 horse saddles.

https://www.renapur.com/

Although my seats weren't dirty (just wiped off the dust with a damp cloth and let them dry) The renapur has bought them up lovely, also gave a nice finish on the black plastic parts at the bottom of the head restraints. And very good on your leather shoes too. I recokon I could do the whole car 30 times over with the amount supplied and the 500 pairs of boots seems realistic too.

I’ve cleaned mine a few times during lockdown (and each time the neighbours have suggested “I do theirs next”), quite like the aqua wax from Autoglym - easy to apply, beads water quite well and seems to last for an acceptable amount of time. 

the rain-x glass glass cleaner isn’t a bad shout if you’re into water repellency on Windows. I didn’t really care for it before, but after applying it, it does contribute to greater visibility enough to make it worth the time and it’s not expensive either. 

I don’t have a high pressure washer as we don’t have a drive and where I park my car is a tad far to mess around with a hose. Would be good to see if anyone has any recommendations for a more “portable” pressure washer? Granted they’re not going to be as good as the proper thing but plenty of £100+ portable washers that on YouTube videos look like an absolute waste of cash

15 minutes ago, DG97 said:

the rain-x glass glass cleaner isn’t a bad shout if you’re into water repellency on Windows. I didn’t really care for it before, but after applying it, it does contribute to greater visibility enough to make it worth the time and it’s not expensive either. 

I got some rain X about 6 months ago but despite cleaning the windscreen very carefully before application and following the application instructions I found it left my windscreen with very heavy streaking when I turned on the wipers. Made my vision less clear. Seems ok on the side windows though, helping the water to just run off.

Might give it another go at some point but as the streaking it caused took about 3 months to wear off despite trying various products to get it off I'm a bit reluctant to chance it.

2 hours ago, Blatto said:

I got some rain X about 6 months ago but despite cleaning the windscreen very carefully before application and following the application instructions I found it left my windscreen with very heavy streaking when I turned on the wipers. Made my vision less clear. Seems ok on the side windows though, helping the water to just run off.

Might give it another go at some point but as the streaking it caused took about 3 months to wear off despite trying various products to get it off I'm a bit reluctant to chance it.

I haven’t actually used the Rain X repellant itself, just the Rain x glass cleaner which is contains the repellant so applies as you clean. I do find it leaves streaks behind so if using the repellant/glass clean mix, my advice would be to clean the windscreen with the cleaner, when clean, spray the cleaner on again wiping it around then leave to dry for 2-3 mins, grab another cloth and buff clean the windscreen - that should get rid of the streaks etc

i remember the first time I applied it, the streaks were horrific but the above seemed to do the trick 🙂 

I use Rain X on my shower screen and it does a reasonable job but I wouldn't buy it again.

I too have stopped using Rain-X now. I've found the Autoglym Polar Seal to be a much better water repellent on the glass (even though it says not to use on the windscreen lol).