Sign in to follow this  
smr

Transmission Malfunction Ford Focus

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Yesterday I was washing my car, and then cleaned the windows. Whilst cleaning the windows I think I must have had the POWER on, as I had to put the electric windows half way whilst cleaning and the doors were open giving the ding ding alarm sound. Must have been cleaning the windows and mirrors for around 20-30 minutes.

When I then finished I soon after got in the car and went to drive... but it wouldn't start. Eventually the power wouldn't work at all, so a mechanic came out and diagnosed it as being a dead battery.

He recharged it over night and came back this morning, said the battery is fine and all but may need replacing in this Winter.

He said there's a message on the display reading that there's a Transmission Malfunction but that it wasn't anything to worry about and said I could clear the message.

I've just been out for a drive and there's definitely something not right with it. The gears aren't shifting properly and revving really high, it feels like it won't get out of third gear or something and will just keep revving highly, I went on an A road and didn't want to go to 70mph as it would have been in the 5+ to 6k rev range.

It's an automatic gear box, 1.6 Ford Focus 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one heard of this before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, smr said:

No one heard of this before?

Low battery can cause all sorts of weird faults but they do usually clear after a drive with a decent battery.  

I think you'll need to have the fault codes read in this case.  It will need to be proper diagnostics as transmission faults aren't on the standard OBD system.  I take it you don't have Forscan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Low battery can cause all sorts of weird faults but they do usually clear after a drive with a decent battery.  

I think you'll need to have the fault codes read in this case.  It will need to be proper diagnostics as transmission faults aren't on the standard OBD system.  I take it you don't have Forscan?

Not heard of Forscan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, smr said:

Not heard of Forscan

It's a free diagnostic programme for Fords, can be used with a laptop or smartphone, picks up almost all of the same fault codes that Ford dealers would. 

You just need to buy a suitable adapter, either a cable or wireless dongle.  Tunnelrat ones are generally recommended as being reliable on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's a free diagnostic programme for Fords, can be used with a laptop or smartphone, picks up almost all of the same fault codes that Ford dealers would. 

You just need to buy a suitable adapter, either a cable or wireless dongle.  Tunnelrat ones are generally recommended as being reliable on here.

Thanks, could you link one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks. What is the point of doing a diagnostics test? Wouldn't I need to take the car to to a Ford Dealership or an Independent Garage to look at anyway in which case they would diagnose the fault?

Having read up a bit on this I've stumbled upon a few other people that have had a similar thing happen and it seems to be when a battery has gone flat and then gets recharged, or when a battery has been replaced altogether. The Transmission Malfunction message comes up and the gearing is all over the place.

Pretty much what it sounds like has happened with my Car.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smr said:

Thanks. What is the point of doing a diagnostics test? Wouldn't I need to take the car to to a Ford Dealership or an Independent Garage to look at anyway in which case they would diagnose the fault?

Having read up a bit on this I've stumbled upon a few other people that have had a similar thing happen and it seems to be when a battery has gone flat and then gets recharged, or when a battery has been replaced altogether. The Transmission Malfunction message comes up and the gearing is all over the place.

Pretty much what it sounds like has happened with my Car.

Ford will charge you £60 just to plug in their machine...  You can do it yourself for free with Forscan then let us know what the codes are to help diagnose the fault.

You might even find you can reset the transmission module through Forscan and clear your problems without having to go to a dealer at all.  

I haven't got the time to read through those threads I'm afraid, did they post any solutions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ford will charge you £60 just to plug in their machine...  You can do it yourself for free with Forscan then let us know what the codes are to help diagnose the fault.

You might even find you can reset the transmission module through Forscan and clear your problems without having to go to a dealer at all.  

I haven't got the time through those threads I'm afraid, did they post any solutions?

Thanks. The only reply that looked like it got anywhere was buying a new battery and clearing the code;

"I fixed this problem by myself. I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES. Got this issue when I left my dash cam running overnight and the battery died. After I jumped my battery, it shows me an error called "Transmission Malfunction Service Now." When I used my OBD2 scanner it said I have a problem called "P0606" and need to replace the PCM / ECM Processor. At first, I was like FML thinking I'm about to waste $500. I was about to bring it to the dealer to fix. But then I decided to go to my nearest Auto Shop and have it checked. They cleared my engine light codes using their OBD2. I thought it wouldn't work, but it did LOL. The problems happen several times later and I had to clear the code again with my OBD2. Then one day my battery died again, I thought it was my starter, but when I jumped it it works again. Now, I am sure the problem was the battery because whenever a weak crank happens, the transmission message appeared. On the same day, I went to AutoZone and bought the most expensive battery because it has the highest cold cranking amps ROFL. My car failed to start again so the AutoZone employee replaced the battery for me. The message should appear again, but you just have to clear it 1 more time. My car is working now, hope this helps XD.

Edit 2: The issue made my RPM goes double than normal. MPG goes 4 times lower too. After I changed the battery everything works great now."

My mechanic just phoned to say try disconnecting the negative connection of the battery and then leaving it for over an hour and then reconnect and see if that works...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, smr said:

Thanks. The only reply that looked like it got anywhere was buying a new battery and clearing the code;

Well there you go then, definitely worth trying to clear it with Forscan before buying a new battery. :smile: 

I don't think leaving the negative off will clear this particular fault but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Well there you go then, definitely worth trying to clear it with Forscan before buying a new battery. :smile: 

I don't think leaving the negative off will clear this particular fault but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

You were right leaving the negative has done nothing. Didnt even need to put the radio code in or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smr said:

It should do, but the quality control on those cheaper versions isn't always great, which is why we generally recommend Tunnelrat.  Fully appreciate that you can get the amazon one tomorrow though!

As for radio codes, there aren't any on the Mk3 Focus's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

It should do, but the quality control on those cheaper versions isn't always great, which is why we generally recommend Tunnelrat.  Fully appreciate that you can get the amazon one tomorrow though!

As for radio codes, there aren't any on the Mk3 Focus's.

I guess I could buy it, try it tomorrow, and if it doesn't work return it to amazon.

Am I right in thinking that the car is in the mode it's in with the transmission now simply because there's a code come up and that by clearing it with Forscan the code goes away and then the transmission returns to normal shifting ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, smr said:

Am I right in thinking that the car is in the mode it's in with the transmission now simply because there's a code come up and that by clearing it with Forscan the code goes away and then the transmission returns to normal shifting ?

We really can't say at the moment.  Given the fact there were no issues before the battery change, I'd like to hope that simply clearing the codes solves it but can't guarantee that. 

If not, I'd then try resetting the transmission module which you can also do with the same cable.

If it still doesn't work, we'll need to see what the specific codes are as they could point to a certain sensor etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, there needs to be 'hats off' icon for your advice, 'like' seems so inadequate!

955168455_hatsoff.thumb.jpg.056b3b53b152b904483babf2aa7b9a10.jpg

Thanks.  I'm getting all embarrassed now though! :blushing:

In fairness, it's only the same (or slightly worse!) advice that others could offer but aren't online at the moment for whatever reason.  I've been hanging around car forums for over a decade now, FOC for the last 5, so have soaked up plenty of knowledge over that time.  :smile: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes thanks very much for your help Tom. Much appreciated. 

The mechanic is coming tomorrow to have another look though I'm not sure whether he'll be able to help. He said that I should be able to clear the transmission message so I'm guessing that he doesn't have a reader and can't do it himself.

I'm wondering whether I should buy a new battery anyway as the battery in the Car is the one that came with it, 13 reg so 7 years old and 47k on the clock. A fair few years for a battery I suppose.

It looks quite straight forward to fit a new battery so I may as well buy one and fit it myself. I've replaced the battery in an S-Max I used to drive and that had an air filter which needed removing first as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car's fixed! Had a phone call from a mechanic this morning who is a customer of mine (I fix his computers) and he told me to drive to the next village where a mechanic with a code reader was, plugged his tablet in and cleared the codes and reset stuff, then he took it for a quick spin and now it's fine! Didn't realise just how much cars are computer driven these days. I just thought it was more mechanical than that with the transmission. ie. you put your foot on the accelerator and it mechanically starts a chain reaction with the clutches and gears and either works properly or doesn't. Didn't know that messages on the dash could hinder the performance of the car like that.

Tom, thanks for your help once again, was especially good of you to reply to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smr said:

Tom, thanks for your help once again, was especially good of you to reply to them.

See, I told you we need a 'hats off' icon for him LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smr said:

Car's fixed! Had a phone call from a mechanic this morning who is a customer of mine (I fix his computers) and he told me to drive to the next village where a mechanic with a code reader was, plugged his tablet in and cleared the codes and reset stuff, then he took it for a quick spin and now it's fine! Didn't realise just how much cars are computer driven these days. I just thought it was more mechanical than that with the transmission. ie. you put your foot on the accelerator and it mechanically starts a chain reaction with the clutches and gears and either works properly or doesn't. Didn't know that messages on the dash could hinder the performance of the car like that.

Tom, thanks for your help once again, was especially good of you to reply to them.

Excellent news!!  Free fixes are always the best. :biggrin: 

There's very little left that's fully mechanical on cars nowadays, almost everything is electronically actuated in one way or another!

 

Regarding your earlier post, you probably will need a new battery eventually but it's very easy to swap yourself.  You may need to reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) afterwards, and probably clear the transmission codes again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I have a Focus Titanium 1.6 12 plate. Only purchased it on 12.11.20 in UK. Whilst driving the ABS light came on followed by the red circled !  Then at a roundabout I lost all transmission, revs still ok, and dashboard said - transmission failure service now - It was utterly terrifying. Then the transmission came back, limp mode I understand, and I got home but gears jerky. What happened? There weren't any recalls on the car, I checked before I purchased it. Thanks Julie Williams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I have a Focus Titanium 1.6 12 plate. Only purchased it on 12.11.20 in UK. Whilst driving the ABS light came on followed by the red circled !  Then at a roundabout I lost all transmission, revs still ok, and dashboard said - transmission failure service now - It was utterly terrifying. Then the transmission came back, limp mode I understand, and I got home but gears jerky. What happened? There weren't any recalls on the car, I checked before I purchased it. Thanks Julie Williams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this