Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 ST to Mk3.5 Instrument soft update

Monks600

Hey guys,

Hope you are all well.

I’m looking in to possibly flashing the software on my mk3 st instrument cluster to the mk3.5ST software...

I’ve done a bit of reading and this can be done, there are a few compatibility issues but nothing major and nothing to put me off. I noticed when I swapped from sync 1 to sync 2 that the ICP colour and splash boot screen changed and looked different once I uploaded the config of a later year ST with the same specs.

Anyone attempted this or could offer some insight? Really fancy the digital speedo read out and the added trip options. Also noticed hidden in the settings menu you on the 3.5 you get more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I experimented a lot with MK3/MK3.5 instrument clusters and the different MK3/MK3.5 software versions.

The MK3 and MK3.5 Level 3 (full color) instrument clusters are technically 100% identical. The only differences are the hardware and software version numbers. Because of the different hardware version number it is not possible to update the MK3 instrument cluster to MK3.5 software using the Ford IDS or FDRS diagnostic systems. 

The only way to load the correct MK3.5 software files (the MK3.5 software consists of 3 different software files) onto an MK3 instrument cluster is by selecting the correct software files manually. There are only a few diagnostic systems that are capable to do this. The best / most reliable ways to do this are currently the Russian UCDS diagnostic system or the (highly experimental) Forscan Beta Test version 2.4.0 in combination with a Ford VCM2 diagnostic interface.

It is not recommended to update the instrument cluster software using the FoCCCus software in combination with an ELM327 interface. Updating the software of a Level 3 instrument cluster using the FoCCCus software and a high quality ELM327 interface takes a very long time. At the maximum supported Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update procedure takes approximately between 12 and 16 Hours. I found this method only to be successful when performed on the bench outside the vehicle.

When installing MK3.5 instrument cluster software onto an MK3 instrument cluster the parking sensors sound will no longer work. On vehicles with Active Park Assist both the visual and sound will no longer work during automatic parking. This can only be solved by upgrading to the MK3.5 PAM module (in case of Active Park Assist this also requires 2 additional parking sensors). Next to this the interior/instrument backlight dimming function will no longer work correctly if the instrument cluster is not configured correctly.

Also be aware that most of the additional MK3.5 instrument cluster settings will not work on a Focus MK3. 

After a few weeks I decided to go back to the latest version of the MK3 instrument cluster software. I discovered that I barely used the digital speedometer and dual trip computer. It was definitely not worth the loss of  parking sensors sound and the loss of both the visual and sound of the Active Park Assist system.

• Like 2

I experimented a lot with MK3/MK3.5 instrument clusters and the different MK3/MK3.5 software versions.

The MK3 and MK3.5 Level 3 (full color) instrument clusters are technically 100% identical. The only differences are the hardware and software version numbers. Because of the different hardware version number it is not possible to update the MK3 instrument cluster to MK3.5 software using the Ford IDS or FDRS diagnostic systems. 

The only way to load the correct MK3.5 software files (the MK3.5 software consists of 3 different software files) onto an MK3 instrument cluster is by selecting the correct software files manually. There are only a few diagnostic systems that are capable to do this. The best / most reliable ways to do this are currently the Russian UCDS diagnostic system or the (highly experimental) Forscan Beta Test version 2.4.0 in combination with a Ford VCM2 diagnostic interface.

It is not recommended to update the instrument cluster software using the FoCCCus software in combination with an ELM327 interface. Updating the software of a Level 3 instrument cluster using the FoCCCus software and a high quality ELM327 interface takes a very long time. At the maximum supported Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update procedure takes approximately between 12 and 16 Hours. I found this method only to be successful when performed on the bench outside the vehicle.

When installing MK3.5 instrument cluster software onto an MK3 instrument cluster the parking sensors sound will no longer work. On vehicles with Active Park Assist both the visual and sound will no longer work during automatic parking. This can only be solved by upgrading to the MK3.5 PAM module (in case of Active Park Assist this also requires 2 additional parking sensors). Next to this the interior/instrument backlight dimming function will no longer work correctly if the instrument cluster is not configured correctly.

Also be aware that most of the additional MK3.5 instrument cluster settings will not work on a Focus MK3. 

After a few weeks I decided to go back to the latest version of the MK3 instrument cluster software. I discovered that I barely used the digital speedometer and dual trip computer. It was definitely not worth the loss of  parking sensors sound and the loss of both the visual and sound of the Active Park Assist system.

Sounds like more hassle than it’s actually worth.
It’s a shame on the mk3’s you can’t swap out the full cluster for essentially an LCD screen. You can do this on the mustangs, it looks absolutely amazing and it’s plug and play too! Absolute game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, JW1982 said:

Hi Wilco,

For this part, how easy/difficult is it to update outside the vehicle? I've got a level 3 cluster which I want to update but only have an ELM327 at the moment.

To update the instrument cluster outside the vehicle you have to connect the following:

* Stable 12 Volt power supply and ground to the instrument cluster and the diagnostic interface.                                    * MS CANbus wiring between the instrument cluster and the diagnostic interface. 

I strongly recommend to only use an ELM327 interface after the speed and stability of the interface have been verified. Loosing the connection for even a few microseconds can (and often will) result in a bricked instrument cluster. 

I highly recommend to use a faster and more stable diagnostic interface/system. For example a VCM2 interface (original or high quality clone) combined with the (highly experimental) 2.4.0 version of the Forscan software (which is only available on request). Another decent option is the UCDS diagnostic system (original or high quality clone). 

That's great, thanks for the reply Wilco.

I think I shall wait and invest in another device instead just to be on the safe side. 

@JW1982, sorry I have another question! I am planning to update my IPC with the following:

BM5T-14C026-BBG
BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFH
CM5T-14C318-AE

I understand that it is the pictures one that takes the bulk of the time to update, is there any risk in updating the other parts and leaving the pictures one until later when I have a faster device or will it cause issues?

Thanks again!

Do not combine old with new software files. The files are designed to work together. Updating only a part of the software can result in several problems. 

Apart from this it is highly recommended to load the files in the correct order. If you use a diagnostic program that does not select the correct order by itself you have to start with the biggest software file and end with the smallest software file. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club