Hi guys,

I plan on remapping my MK7 Fiesta ST-Line 140bhp, but I friend of mine (who is a mechanic) warned me that remapping a 3 cylinder would higher the chances of my engine blowing up.

Have any of you or anyone you know remapped a ST-Line and had problems with the engine?

Hi Rhys,

Several members have used Superchips etc remaps, with no reported engine problems and even higher outputs have been achieved, see below. The issue that comes up several times is the IB5 gearbox on the Mk 7.5. Some members have reported problems even on unmodified 140s and there are a few threads on converting to a stronger 6 speed box e.g. ST or Mk 3 Focus.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/viewadvice.jsp?newsID=111

Thank you,

Would it be advisable to apply only a stage 1 remap and see how the gear box holds up first? 

As I have a slight problem that occurs sometimes where the gearbox refuses to go into 3rd at higher revs.

Don't know if you're prepared to spend on gearbox repairs or a conversion, personally I'd be very wary about spending on a remap if you're already having gearbox problems without getting that issue sorted first. Can't speak from personal experience on this one, no doubt some of the members who have done remaps will be along in due course!

The problem with the box is that it was not originally intended to cope with the extra torque of a turbocharged engine. The box is (Iirc) rated at up to 170nm which is the output of a 125 ecoboost, the 140 produces 180nm.

Thank you, I'll definitely get the gearbox checked and changed if there is a problem already there. 

I'll put the remapping off until I know 100% that my car isn't going to have gearbox issues. If theres always a risk there I won't get my car remapped at all no point risking the car just for a performance boost.

1 hour ago, Fiesta97 said:

Thank you, I'll definitely get the gearbox checked and changed if there is a problem already there. 

I'll put the remapping off until I know 100% that my car isn't going to have gearbox issues. If theres always a risk there I won't get my car remapped at all no point risking the car just for a performance boost.

For info, here's a link to one of the several threads on the gearbox issue:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/74395-synchro-ford-fiesta-10-ecoboost/