Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at buying a 2008 ford focus 1.6 diesel Econetic

itwasVTEC

Hi my name is daniel and I'm looking at the 2008 ford focus as my first car, I have found a pretty decent example and am heading over to have a look at it, its listed for £1200 and has 135k miles on the clock, its had 4 owners and its passed its last 4 MOT's with no advisories. Was hoping if you guys could give me any advice as what to watch out for and what to look at when inspecting it, 

All the best,

Dan 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, itwasVTEC said:

Hi my name is daniel and I'm looking at the 2008 ford focus as my first car, I have found a pretty decent example and am heading over to have a look at it, its listed for £1200 and has 135k miles on the clock, its had 4 owners and its passed its last 4 MOT's with no advisories. Was hoping if you guys could give me any advice as what to watch out for and what to look at when inspecting it, 

All the best,

Dan 

Hi Dan, 

I regret that you haven't joined here earlier as your already in the process of going to look at one, 

but I would like to recommend that you go for a 1.8TDCi instead, there 115bhp which isn't much more on the insurance bill, and you will save on the maintenance bills as it doesn't have a DPF and isn't prone to turbo failure.

the 1.6TDCi is a Peugeot 1.6 HDi engine which has a DPF and is also prone to leaking injectors, this problem doesn't go very well if left undetected for any period of time as it contaminates the oil creating lumps, and can lead to a blocked DPF as the cylinder dumps a wet mix of diesel and oil in to the DPF every time the engine is started during the leak; which then contaminates the oil with carbon via the EGR, the carbon then blocks the oil feed pipe to the turbo causing failure, which involves a lot more work than just changing the turbo.

leaking injector will have signs of burned oil on top of the engine, ive had leaking injectors myself but got them fixed fairly quickly, is a common problem on the 1.6TDCi

I've been on here ten years, recently had to change profile due to my email getting hacked, I personally have a 1.6TDCI focus since I bought it brand new in 2010, I've made a few modifications within the first few months of purchase which have prolonged the life of the engine, turbo failure usually happens between 90-150,000 miles, my focus is now on 302,000km still on factory turbo as the DPF was gutted and EGR blanked, however you cant get away with this anymore in the UK as the MOT are watching out for it, needs the sump pan removed and cleaned out aswell as the oil feed pipe to the turbo replaced. 

other common problems across the full range including ST and RS are:

leaking lid on the engine bay fuse box which allows water in to bridge connections can cause horn, wipers, and indicators to activate at random even when the car is locked and parked during the night, another easy fix just replace the lid, 

water in passenger footwell; leaking pollen filter housing, could need a replacement housing, another common problem with all focus 2005-2011 

Hatch back Models:

a leaking boot due to the deterioration of the seals around the boot spoiler, this isn't a big issue can be easily fixed, 

rust spot in the centre of the roof when the boot is opened; caused by the rear window washer pipe rubbing off the boot when the door is closed. 

1.6 petrol models suffer from the bonnet washer jet seals leaking allowing rain water to enter the coil packs on the top of the 1.6 petrol Volvo engine, the washer jet seals deteriorate on all models but the issue of water entering the engine only affects the 1.6 petrol due to its position under the bonnet. 

I have a list of guides here which you may like to view for your new focus. 

if I was buying again id choose a 1.8TDCi the only ford diesel in the range of the time as the 1.4TDCi, 1.6TDCi and the 2.9TDCi engines are all Peugeot HDI engines, a joint venture at the time to sell vehicles with lower CO2 emissions, ford bought Peugeot engines while developing there own for the mk3 focus, the 1.8TDCi is the only ford engine in the range and doesn't have a DPF or any of the issues that go hand in hand with it. 

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I went to have a look at the vehicle today, checked the usual, oil leaks, milky residue under engine filler cap, tyre tread, all looked fine, but for a car with 135k miles to have passed its MOT in the last 3 years with no advisories and no service history, it has me a little worried as I have already put down a deposit for the vehicle as I was initially impressed with the condition of it, as an 18 year old a 1.8l would increase my premuim, as much as I really want this car the worry for me is a dodgy MOT and no service history

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, itwasVTEC said:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I went to have a look at the vehicle today, checked the usual, oil leaks, milky residue under engine filler cap, tyre tread, all looked fine, but for a car with 135k miles to have passed its MOT in the last 3 years with no advisories and no service history, it has me a little worried as I have already put down a deposit for the vehicle as I was initially impressed with the condition of it, as an 18 year old a 1.8l would increase my premuim, as much as I really want this car the worry for me is a dodgy MOT and no service history

Is it at a dealer or private sale?

Some people do look after their cars rather than just waiting for MOT advisories! :biggrin:  

And if it's a dealer they won't be able to give you any service receipts due to GPDR.  If the service book has been lost then all you can go on is condition.

30 minutes ago, itwasVTEC said:

My 2010 focus passed the first four inspections failed then on headlight alignment and front tinted windows.

Having paid a deposit though you practically bought it; no worries I'd give it a service before Christmas and have the fuel filter changed too. 

Unfortunately can't blank the egr anymore due to MOT, keep an eye on inside wear of rear tyres as the inside wears faster than the outside on the focus 2005-2011 but in return it provides great handling; I recommend lowering on Eibach springs when funds allow too, there's different springs for diesel models compared to the petrol models, lowered mine back in 2015 

Don't bother with bigger rims, will reduce take off speed and cost you on diesel and tyres, I had st rims and went back to 16" 

Positive too is being an economic model doesn't it have a front lip and side skirts the same as a zetecS model ? 

If wanting to create a zetecS then you would just need to fit a rear diffuser section and change front grills, 

Important question is it a 90 or 110 model? 

Hi, the plate is AF58 ZYZ, and it's from a private dealer, I have a few pictures of the vehicle which I will attach to this post, the person selling sounds genuine and is adamant that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, the reason he is selling is because he has recently purchased a jaaaaaaag and no longer needs the ford, I remember my mate telling me never to trust what the dealer tells you, but honestly I feel that he is genuine 

Screenshot_20200729-204916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-205005_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-204907_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-204940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-204927_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-204952_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Looks to have been looked after from the outside, still has the front lip and side skirts which are The same as a zetecS model; personally I would edit your post to remove the registration, 

I've checked it out on ford Etis 

Which you can also do yourself by going to Google and search "ford ETIS"

Select heading "Vehicle" 

Then enter the registration number

Its a 110bhp 1.6TDCi which does have a dpf the paint is Metallic, not the most attractive of interior trim but all can easily be changed as saw in my guides. No outstanding service by ford neither, so it has been back there at least once in its lifetime.

Personally it looks descent for the age.

I didn't know the Econetic didn't get the heated front windscreen as standard!  That's the main reason for buying Fords! :sad:  Must have been based on the Style model which explains the 'cheap' seat fabric and lack of centre armrest as well.

The window tints are aftermarket and should be declared on your insurance.  The wheel trims are also non standard replacements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't know the Econetic didn't get the heated front windscreen as standard!  That's the main reason for buying Fords! :sad:  Must have been based on the Style model which explains the 'cheap' seat fabric and lack of centre armrest as well.

The window tints are aftermarket and should be declared on your insurance.  The wheel trims are also non standard replacements.

Would make sense for an econetic to come with a heated windscreen as it would be saw to conserve water on frosty mornings, the side skirts and front lip aren't cheap additional items though so eh kudo's for those, also 2008 was the turning point in the facelift mid 2008 was the release of the facelift model perhaps the centre armrest wasn't out until 2009 and could easily be fitted,

The interior trim is also 2005-2008 Ghia spec, ford later changed to grey or red with black leather horizontal stripes, I have a grey interior from my 2010 in my attic having changed to Recaro's from an ST but shipping would cost a fortune. 

21 minutes ago, BigLen said:

Would make sense for an econetic to come with a heated windscreen as it would be saw to conserve water on frosty mornings, the side skirts and front lip aren't cheap additional items though so eh kudo's for those, also 2008 was the turning point in the facelift mid 2008 was the release of the facelift model perhaps the centre armrest wasn't out until 2009 and could easily be fitted,

The interior trim is also 2005-2008 Ghia spec, ford later changed to grey or red with black leather horizontal stripes, I have a grey interior from my 2010 in my attic having changed to Recaro's from an ST but shipping would cost a fortune. 

I had a very early facelift (Built Feb 08) with a centre armrest. :wink:  It just wasn't fitted to the basic facelifts and that's a facelift Style interior as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-FORD-FOCUS-1-6-STYLE-TD-90-DIESEL-MANUAL-5-DOOR-HATCHBACK-TWO-OWNERS/333655526443?hash=item4daf6b4c2b:g:FvgAAOSwdohfDzR6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Ford-Focus-1-6-TDCi-DPF-Style-5dr-Hatchback-Diesel-Manual/313165889352?hash=item48ea243f48:g:juYAAOSwaEVfImVF

Fair point on the heated screen being left off for lower emissions...however the Econetic spec didn't seem to have worked...the Econetic 110 cost the same £30 to tax as my Titanium X 110 did, and I know which I'd prefer! :laugh: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I had a very early facelift (Built Feb 08) with a centre armrest. :wink:  It just wasn't fitted to the basic facelifts and that's a facelift Style interior as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-FORD-FOCUS-1-6-STYLE-TD-90-DIESEL-MANUAL-5-DOOR-HATCHBACK-TWO-OWNERS/333655526443?hash=item4daf6b4c2b:g:FvgAAOSwdohfDzR6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Ford-Focus-1-6-TDCi-DPF-Style-5dr-Hatchback-Diesel-Manual/313165889352?hash=item48ea243f48:g:juYAAOSwaEVfImVF

Fair point on the heated screen being left off for lower emissions...however the Econetic spec didn't seem to have worked...the Econetic 110 cost the same £30 to tax as my Titanium X 110 did, and I know which I'd prefer! :laugh: 

The front lip and skirts make it more economical though; better Miles per gallon compared to a focus without the body kit, 

I noticed a difference after lowering my focus and fitting the zetec S kit, however the ST spoiler costs 0.3Mpg decrease in savings

12 minutes ago, BigLen said:

The front lip and skirts make it more economical though; better Miles per gallon compared to a focus without the body kit, 

I noticed a difference after lowering my focus and fitting the zetec S kit, however the ST spoiler costs 0.3Mpg decrease in savings

In theory maybe...but the CO2 figures (what UK tax was based on) suggest otherwise!  :unsure: 

Other manufacturers made similar changes to create an 'Eco' model to get it below 99g/km for free road tax.  What's worse is that after a bit of Googling, I see the Econetic cost £2000 more than the Style which has the same lack of equipment, but admittedly doesn't include the lip and skirts...  How long would it take to save that £2000 with the minor increase in MPG I wonder? :g:

• Haha 1

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi guys, I have recently purchased the car and so far I'm enjoying it, things I've noticed so far, moving away in 2nd at roundabouts isn't quite as responsive as petrol cars, but once the turbo kicks in it really gets a move on, the car doesnt have a fuel filler cap which is odd so I will need to get one soon, the owner told me the car doesnt come with a spare wheel and only has the puncture repair kit and the electric pump which was strange as there was a well under the boot where a space saver would live, and the car doesnt have an electronic key only the non electronic spare key and the 2 keys for the bonnet, 

I got pulled over on my first day of driving which was nerve racking to say the least, apparently it showed up on their side as the vehicle not having any insurnace, but I had all the relevant paperwork to dispute otherwise, they were really nice and said that it wasnt a problem as they just wanted to make sure I was insured 🙂

But so far the car feels fine (touch wood) just a few bits and Bob's I need to get as well as get the car cleaned inside and out, I have read online that the turbos and EGR's tend to fail around the 90k mile mark which is a little worrying as the car has 135k but I shall get a full service done in due time just to make sure everything is where it should be 

The facelift Mk2 Focus, and indeed every Ford after that, got the patented 'EasyFuel' filling system.  There is no filler cap and the system is designed so that you can only put a diesel nozzle into it, no chance of accidently putting petrol in! :smile: 

Spare wheels are heavy, they were ditched on the Econetic model to save weight.  You can fit a spare instead if you want, you'll need the jack and wheel brace as well of course.

No key fob is a shame though...I don't think they'd go so far as to not to give you a remote key to save all of 2 grams! :biggrin:  2 keys for the bonnet is also odd...the bonnet locks are a common fault on these so it's probably that someone fitted a ready built lock to it, hence the different keys, they would have all matched originally.

19 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The facelift Mk2 Focus, and indeed every Ford after that, got the patented 'EasyFuel' filling system.  There is no filler cap and the system is designed so that you can only put a diesel nozzle into it, no chance of accidently putting petrol in! :smile: 

Spare wheels are heavy, they were ditched on the Econetic model to save weight.  You can fit a spare instead if you want, you'll need the jack and wheel brace as well of course.

No key fob is a shame though...I don't think they'd go so far as to not to give you a remote key to save all of 2 grams! :biggrin:  2 keys for the bonnet is also odd...the bonnet locks are a common fault on these so it's probably that someone fitted a ready built lock to it, hence the different keys, they would have all matched originally.

The mk2 not having a filler cap is slightly odd as im worried that someone can just open the filler door and stick a hose pipe down there and siphen all the fuel, also today I discovered that there is no button for the boot inside the cab, I spent 10 mins looking for it 😂, I then went to open up the boot with the key thinking it had a lock for a key, only to find there was no hole for the key i was so perplexed, that's when I realised there is a small button just above the number plate which opens the boot door, I was like OMG it has a button ! 😁, so that was pretty cool,

about they missing electronic key, is there  a way I can buy a replacement and have it coded for my car ? 

3 hours ago, itwasVTEC said:

The mk2 not having a filler cap is slightly odd as im worried that someone can just open the filler door and stick a hose pipe down there and siphen all the fuel, also today I discovered that there is no button for the boot inside the cab, I spent 10 mins looking for it 😂, I then went to open up the boot with the key thinking it had a lock for a key, only to find there was no hole for the key i was so perplexed, that's when I realised there is a small button just above the number plate which opens the boot door, I was like OMG it has a button ! 😁, so that was pretty cool,

about they missing electronic key, is there  a way I can buy a replacement and have it coded for my car ? 

You can't syphon fuel from it, there are flaps further down, it'll only open for a diesel filler nozzle. :smile:  You should find a funnel somewhere in the car that you'd need to use to open the flaps if you ever needed to add fuel from a jerry can or use any fuel additive.  It looks like a she-wee! :laugh: 

A locksmith should be able to programme a remote fob to your car, but it's not something you can do yourself without at least one remote key.  Cost is likely to be around £150 for remote, immobiliser and blade cut.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club