Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forced to allow Ford to track me.

Guy Heaton

So now I can't have live traffic without enabling full vehicle data, which includes tracking my location, speed, how I accelerate and brake.  That's not right. How long until this info is sold to insurance companies?

I'm done with modern cars.  All I want is bluetooth and a satnav.  Parrot and a tomtom.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I'm done with modern cars.  All I want is bluetooth and a satnav. 

And I can easily live without even those tbh. I'd love to be able to buy a new car from 10 years ago to avoid all the stuff I don't want or need (which to be fair is often as not mandated by legislation rather than the manufacturer).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

So now I can't have live traffic without enabling full vehicle data, which includes tracking my location, speed, how I accelerate and brake.  That's not right. How long until this info is sold to insurance companies?

I'm done with modern cars.  All I want is bluetooth and a satnav.  Parrot and a TomTom.

My 15 year old LX has one better, the Garmin SatNav I have also has built in BT for my phone LOL

(when it was built, I'm not sure BT had been invented 🤣)

• Like 1

Keep the safety stuff and dump all the other tech electric . Just a Speedo, fuel and temp guage. Manual windows and mirrors. No keyless anything. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Keep the safety stuff and dump all the other tech electric . Just a Speedo, fuel and temp guage. Manual windows and mirrors. No keyless anything. 

Dacia

giphy.thumb.gif.fde72c18168d6d2387f7122b57898cbd.gif

• Haha 2

I'm done with modern cars.  All I want is bluetooth and a satnav.  Parrot and a TomTom.

They can also disable it from starting if it's on finance and payments are owed they can shut it down after it's been parked.

Renault have been demonstrating this in Ireland, I've heard from people

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What we've never really had in the UK is the equivalent of the American muscle car.  Simple underpinnings, powerful engine.  IMO the biggest luxury of any car is torque, the ability to effortlessly accelerate.  Trouble with our basic cars is they usually can't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Yes the livedata option even says "live data and remote control"

6 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

What we've never really had in the UK is the equivalent of the American muscle car.

Are you telling me that my Mk1 XR2 wasn't a muscle car?? 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have corners on UK roads...the point of muscle cars is drag racing and long straights.  Tbh I'd say hot hatches are the European equivalent, much more suited to our environment... 🤔 

On the subject of bluetooth...a Ford salesmen tried to sell me a Mk3 Zetec a few years ago (eurgh, poverty!) and proudly claimed that it had bluetooth!  'Pfft, do I look like someone with a lot of friends to call!?' :laugh:

Its a rare option in the Mk6 Golfs and mine does have it...but I've never used it.  Couldn't be without cruise control and auto wipers though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So now I can't have live traffic without enabling full vehicle data, which includes tracking my location, speed, how I accelerate and brake. 

I have got live traffic and have the tracking switched off. How have you got yours set so you have to have tracking?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Are you telling me that my Mk1 XR2 wasn't a muscle car?? 😁

I so wanted one of those back in the day - had to make do with a 1.1L at the time.😞

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I so wanted one of those back in the day - had to make do with a 1.1L at the time.😞

My friend had a 1.1L then, a vibrant shade of lime green, I loved my XR2, till of course, I got my XR3i LOL

47 minutes ago, SDHXIII said:

I have got live traffic and have the tracking switched off. How have you got yours set so you have to have tracking?

So this came up on the sync3 earlier today.

I said No of course but then checked the fordpass app.  No info.  I had to enable connectivity in the sync3 and then found I could not enable live traffic without enabling the remote control etc.

IMG_20200830_144208.jpg

59 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My friend had a 1.1L then, a vibrant shade of lime green, I loved my XR2, till of course, I got my XR3i LOL

There a rotten XR3i on a driveway near me.  Hasn't moved in the 5 years I've lived here.  I suspect it'll need hoovering off the tarmac if anyone attempted to move it now. :sad:

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I said No of course but then checked the fordpass app.  No info.  I had to enable connectivity in the sync3 and then found I could not enable live traffic without enabling the remote control etc.

On the FordPass app I go to account from the icons at the bottom, then My Journeys, then View, than near the bottom I have 'Off' enabled and the message 'journeys will not be recorded'. It is my understanding that this will stop the tracking.

Screenshot_20200830-194719.png

IMG_20200830_144208.jpg

Is this maybe something to do with the hazard warning tech ? That should be on sync3.4 ?

I don’t know much about the ‘hazard warning’ tech (can’t even remember what it’s called!) but for that to work ie gathering data through your lidar and modem would probably involve allowing Ford (Here technologies) access to all your journeys information. They’re not in it to stop you speeding . I guess it’ll be like Live Traffic but much more detailed 🤔 

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I had a F plate 1.4L Ghia at one point. Off the mark my friends 1.1 (popular plus ?) was quicker! 

Yes I've turned off fordpass journeys as I believe that isn't even tracking the car anyway, it's tracking the phone.

I would not trust any manufacturer to not sell information to insurance companies who could then use that info for increased premiums.

It's all about money.

Ford do not need to track my journeys or my location to provide hazard info.  The car does not need to send location back to Ford.

I never had automatic updates set up either, and the vehicle hotspot wireless is disabled so how did this get on the car?  Did it use my own phone's data?

12 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes I've turned off fordpass journeys as I believe that isn't even tracking the car anyway, it's tracking the phone.

I would not trust any manufacturer to not sell information to insurance companies who could then use that info for increased premiums.

It's all about money.

Ford do not need to track my journeys or my location to provide hazard info.  The car does not need to send location back to Ford.

I never had automatic updates set up either, and the vehicle hotspot wireless is disabled so how did this get on the car?  Did it use my own phone's data?

I’ve got Background App Refresh turned off on my iPhone but it looks like FordPass has somehow made changes. I haven’t had the screen pop up u posted yet but the app is definitely evolving..

172808D1-14A1-4034-A562-6A3B738E9814.thumb.jpeg.b2782c1ef53f795f70bb4d0117f25186.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

If they don’t allow Live Traffic without allowing remote control (not sure what you mean by remote control?) 

Its a sign of things to come. 

• Sad 1

It's what the slider option was called, Livedata and RemoteCtrl.

1 hour ago, SDHXIII said:

On the FordPass app I go to account from the icons at the bottom, then My Journeys, then View, than near the bottom I have 'Off' enabled and the message 'journeys will not be recorded'. It is my understanding that this will stop the tracking.

Screenshot_20200830-194719.png

I’ve mine off too. Seems they really want to track our phones ! Which isn’t creepy at all 😕

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

It's what the slider option was called, Livedata and RemoteCtrl.

I need an IT guy to help me run my car ..

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Why on earth would an insurance company want to buy data from Ford regarding your driving style? 

Given the wealth of actuarial data they already possess and general market data, why would they spend more money to obtain more data? The very act will increase costs, it makes no sense?

If you're a high risk personal lines customer they'll just make cover subject to a black box policy like new young drivers have and gather the data themselves. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club