Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Focus St Line x 1.0 ecoboost gear change / clutch issues

HakunaMatata

Hi... Have bought my first Ford in August 2019, I've had to call the AA out twice...

Long winded but here's the fault... 

Couldn't get car into gear at traffic lights, turned engine off, could then select gear and start the engine and go, shifting was stiff and a problem. Parked at home, couldn't get into gear again unless engine off. Called AA, and he couldn't get it into gear at all so had to call for a tow truck.

When it got to the garage and them to look at it 4 days later, they couldn't find a fault as it was going into gear no problem! What an idiot I looked thinking I was doing something wrong. They tested it over a couple days but they said the issue may be intermittent but they can't do anything as they can't see the issue. 

Well... 

A month later, was coming out a side road, tried to change into second and nothing, stuck in neutral. Had to coast it to side of the road. Turned engine off, put it in first and started engine. Drove it to a safe place just in first as it wouldn't shift up. Rang AA to come, in the mean time was trying everything to get it in gear and wasn't doing it even with engine off. 30mins for AA and suddenly I can now get into gear and shift up and down as usual! He followed me to the garage and now it's with them to sort this issue as I'm so annoyed this is happening suddenly and all in all put me in a dangerous situation.

Anyone else had similar issues or can help!? I know what the garage will say again but will get them to report it to Ford and I will contact them direct. 

Sorry again about the long winded explanation... 

• 1 month later...

On 9/26/2020 at 10:18 PM, HakunaMatata said:

Hi... Have bought my first Ford in August 2019, I've had to call the AA out twice...

Long winded but here's the fault... 

Couldn't get car into gear at traffic lights, turned engine off, could then select gear and start the engine and go, shifting was stiff and a problem. Parked at home, couldn't get into gear again unless engine off. Called AA, and he couldn't get it into gear at all so had to call for a tow truck.

When it got to the garage and them to look at it 4 days later, they couldn't find a fault as it was going into gear no problem! What an idiot I looked thinking I was doing something wrong. They tested it over a couple days but they said the issue may be intermittent but they can't do anything as they can't see the issue. 

Well... 

A month later, was coming out a side road, tried to change into second and nothing, stuck in neutral. Had to coast it to side of the road. Turned engine off, put it in first and started engine. Drove it to a safe place just in first as it wouldn't shift up. Rang AA to come, in the mean time was trying everything to get it in gear and wasn't doing it even with engine off. 30mins for AA and suddenly I can now get into gear and shift up and down as usual! He followed me to the garage and now it's with them to sort this issue as I'm so annoyed this is happening suddenly and all in all put me in a dangerous situation.

Anyone else had similar issues or can help!? I know what the garage will say again but will get them to report it to Ford and I will contact them direct. 

Sorry again about the long winded explanation... 

Did you ever diagnose the issue? I have the same car with the same problem and the dealership couldn’t find the issue.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:18 PM, HakunaMatata said:

Cars under warranty - not fit for purpose - famous words - This is a synchro mess issue. Dealer should fix or change box end of story! (providing you haven't got a remap as this can wipe out warranty and cause issues unless done by mount tune)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Same here, same car, happened a couple of times,  just couldn't get in gear at first, took about 30 seconds to get in then ok for a couple of months then the same again. Then last November I stopped outside a shop and it took 30 minutes to get in gear, then ok for a day, happened again going to work and I came home at night in second gear. Took it to fords, they had it for 3 days no fault found. So its just happened again, same as before, rang Ford and told them to send someone out to look at it while it's doing it,no chance. Bring it in he said, what part of it won't go in gear didn't you understand. So I'm going to try and get it half a mile from my house so the breakdown can take it to fords. Ridiculous for a brand new car. So obviously if other people have the same problem then they probably know about the fault but don't want to fix it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, st line x 140 driver said:

Cars under warranty - not fit for purpose - famous words - This is a synchro mess issue. Dealer should fix or change box end of story! (providing you haven't got a remap as this can wipe out warranty and cause issues unless done by mount tune)

Just took mine in, gear box bearings

• 3 months later...

Hi

Also having the same problem with the same car. Had two incidents three months apart, both quite scary as first on huge busy roundabout and second whilst crawling along due to roadworks. Managed to roll down hill in neutral, take a turning and park up. Called out break down service first time, he found nothing as went into gear. Took to garage, they found nothing. Second time happened two days ago.  Wasn't sure what to do, May just sell the thing as don't trust it!

Did someone find out it was gearbox bearings? Is that expensive? If someone could let me know that would be much appreciated as I've no confidence in driving my car now.

Thank you.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

same problem 2019 focus st line done 12000 miles and  wouldn’t go into gear 3 months ago when stopped at shop so turned car off and on again and was fine then 2 weeks ago did same again but this time would not go into gear at all so ford have had the car for last 2 weeks and havent looked at it yet but have said they are sure its the clutch and its our fault so wont be covered under warranty did anyone find out what the cause was 

• 10 months later...

Wow This seem to be a bigger fault. My car has started doing the same thing. been told that it "might be something in the clutch" but would cost up from £1200 but then can't be sure. No help from ford. taken it to a 2nd place to see if then have a better idea.

• 2 months later...

Hi, my 2019 Ford Focus zetec has exactly the same problem !   Did you get it resolved and was it very expensive? Appreciate any advice.  

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Currently sat in my 2019 Focus Active X, had this issue last year, had the master and slave cylinder replaced. But now it has happened again... Needless to say, not happy at all

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club