Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Diesel 1.6TDCI 74bhp vs 94bhp

Tolis

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a Ford Fiesta Diesel, 2015 to 2017. I will be doing at least 12000 miles per year on the motorway, so I think the diesel model is more preferable than the petrol ecoboost. Therefore my two options are the 1.6 TDCI at 74bhp and the 1.6 Econetic at 94bhp. It seems there are more cars available for the 74bhp model, it is slightly cheaper, and also in a lower insurance group (9). On the other hand the 94bhp model is a bit more efficient, has more bhp, but is in a higher insurance group (14).

My main question is, if the 20bhp difference is significant enough, especially for driving in the motorway. Would the 74bhp be totally fine for driving in the motorway 80 miles a day? And also is the higher insurance cost for the 94bhp Econetic model cancelling out the the pounds saved from its higher efficiency?

Thanks 

Its better to have the power - easier not to use it rather than wishing you had it. you will only regret it in the end. As for insurance i wouldn't let that dictate what car you buy.

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance for whatever vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

If you've got the money, I'd choose the 94bhp one. Not only has it got more power, but more importantly more torque for pulling power. It will make overtaking on a motorway a lot easier.

It's worth checking your own insurance, the groups don't make as much difference as you'd think.

It'll cost me an extra £30 a year to change from my group 21 car to a group 29 car...

I'd agree with the others though, go for the more powerful one unless there's a big difference in purchase price or insurance price.

• Like 1

Yeah, insurance is a funny thing and often depends more on the driver/usage than the actual car. In the past I've been quoted only a nominal sum to move from, for example, a 1.6 Civic to a Type R, yet my Mrs had a basic Citroen ZX diesel for years and the prices on that were always silly whoever we got a quote from as she used it for her business.

On the power question, I'd agree with everyone else and go for the 94. I had one for a while and it was perfectly adequate, but I wouldn't have wanted anything less than that for regular motorway use.