Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 starter motor question

1157jonboy

Hi all, I went to start the car yesterday and it attempted to turn then just stopped. I tried again and same thing happened so i put it in gear, rolled the car forward and tried again and it started. I got the battery checked anyway to make sure it was ok and it was. So I replaced the starter motor and she spun up every time much faster than before. After an hours drive this evening I filled up with petrol, went to start the car and the same thing happened again, it started to turn then stopped. Any ideas please?

I will check tomorrow morning, would this cause the problem starting when hot? I don’t actually remember seeing a ground wire when I took the starter off, I left the 3 bolts in the engine, I don’t remember seeing an earth clamp on any of them?

the starter motor uses the grounds that are connected to the engine, i would recommend checking all the chassis grounds coming off the engine, if you have a dodgy ground it can increase the resistance making it harder for the starter to get the power required, also check the mating surface that the stater motor is mounting to is clean and free of any corrosion

Ok so I’ve cleaned the grounds from the engine/gearbox to the chassis but I’ve still had the starter stick again while hot. If i ran an earth cable directly from the battery negative to the starter mounting bolt do you think that would work, or would that be a waste of time?

Have you got a reconditioned, second hand or new starter motor. Could be the brushes. Car should have adequate earth just condition of existing cables  could be corroded with the age of car.

Is you battery supplying 12V sure you don't have a drain, car might not be charging battery.

• Like 1

Yes the starter is a recon Remy unit so it could be that. I’ve just checked resistance from chassis to gearbox, all ok and battery negative to Starter motor is good too. I’m suspecting a faulty starter now as it’s doing the opposite to the old one which started fine when hot but struggled when cold.

If you are keeping the car get a new oem starter motor, cost is not that much more and will illuminate that as the faulty part. False economy getting recon/second hand.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club