George. 1991

2006 Ford Focus Bonnet lock.

Recommended Posts

Hi.

Does anyone have a simple solution to open the bonnet up without using the key...?

I can no longer use my key to open the bonnet up.

 

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to maintain using your original key, you can do it fairly cheaply, this is what I did...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One word... Nice lol

Enjoyed the t-bar moment 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Stephen.

Just a little update on my problem...

1. I now have a new plastic cross section and try it out inside the latch mech and the key barrel. My current key barrel is well used anyway.

2. My Dad has bought a new key barrel for me from ebay.

Just hope it will work out fine for me until it comes in the post. keeping my fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George, if the 'key barrel' is the one that you can build yourself so you can use the original key, when you open the package it may seem a little daunting! There are about a million parts, but follow that YouTube video and you'll be fine. Work in plenty of space, no disturbance (like a young kitten that I had LOL),lay ALL the bits out carefully so everything is to hand (do NOT try and work from the packet of bits!) and with trial and error, you'll soon get through all the tumblers. All the more satisfying when done as it is fiddly! Best of luck...  (Oh, there is a bit in the video which the guy did wrong, and that was applying the eventual spring that holds it all together, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dealers stock and sell a repair kit

if you have the bowden cable type of mechanism - don't bother trying anything its all mumbo jumbo - use the kit no problems ever again.. yes 45 quid is a rip off but the MOT boy trashing the bonnet trying to get it to pop will cost a lot more to fix

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Botus said:

dealers stock and sell a repair kit

if you have the bowden cable type of mechanism - don't bother trying anything its all mumbo jumbo, use the kit no problems ever again.. yes 45 quid is a rip off but the MOT boy trashing the bonnet trying to get it to pop will cost a lot more to fix

 

Just curious. what costs £45? The kit (including new Bowden cable) to build up the lock tumbler is just over £20, this is the one I actually used when I repaired mine as illustrated on my previous post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the whole kit I got genuine from ford was about £57 with a discount  !!!  

I'm sure it should sell for £25 and even more confident I could get some Chinese ***** not worth fittng for £18 on internet sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, all I can say is that I'm delighted with the quality of the kit I got, feels heavy and rugged, straightforward to build, and I still have a 'one' key car...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'd spend the £50 doing a mk4 mondeo latch conversion then you never have to worry about it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Personally I'd spend the £50 doing a mk4 mondeo latch conversion then you never have to worry about it again.

sounds interesting got any info.....

putting it inside the car like a grown up would be a good idea - the agro of doing maintenance with the std joke is infuriating!!! not to mention the risk leaving the key to either get snapped off or stolen when you got to get some tools out of the garage, or wiping the rear screen at a garage forecourt (whilst checking the oil as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, StephenFord said:

George, if the 'key barrel' is the one that you can build yourself so you can use the original key, when you open the package it may seem a little daunting! There are about a million parts, but follow that YouTube video and you'll be fine. Work in plenty of space, no disturbance (like a young kitten that I had LOL),lay ALL the bits out carefully so everything is to hand (do NOT try and work from the packet of bits!) and with trial and error, you'll soon get through all the tumblers. All the more satisfying when done as it is fiddly! Best of luck...  (Oh, there is a bit in the video which the guy did wrong, and that was applying the eventual spring that holds it all together, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

Hi Stephen.

An other update.

Yeah thought about that when my new key barrel turned up earlier today in the post, my dad bought it for me anyway for just £24.95 from ebay. I decided to just fit the new key barrel system and use the key with it to open the bonnet and I have now solved my issue. Don't fancy messing with the key barrel pin slots thanks, sound like a pain in the *****!

I will keep my old barrel with me handy anyway as for spares. will it have any affect e.g. during a MOT? also my original key barrel somehow had 2 pins missing out of it after owning the hole car for nearly 10 years. hence replacing the small cross plastic bit, tried re-fitted it back into my car and the original key barrel no longer operate the latch properly!

jobs a gooden 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, George. 1991 said:

Hi Stephen.

An other update.

Yeah thought about that when my new key barrel turned up earlier today in the post, my dad bought it for me anyway for just £24.95 from ebay. I decided to just fit the new key barrel system and use the key with it to open the bonnet and I have now solved my issue. Don't fancy messing with the key barrel pin slots thanks, sound like a pain in the *****!

I will keep my old barrel with me handy anyway as for spares. will it have any affect e.g. during a MOT? also my original key barrel somehow had 2 pins missing out of it after owning the hole car for nearly 10 years. hence replacing the small cross plastic bit, tried re-fitted it back into my car and the original key barrel no longer operate the latch properly!

jobs a gooden 😀

Shame you now have a 2 x key car, but still, at least you have a working bonnet lock. Your 'old' barrel will offer up very little in the way of spares. From memory, the barrel only has 8 out of 10 potential slots complete, that's the way I built the new one on mine. To be honest, it's a 'security' device that is overengineered anyway. Who the heck cares if someone can open the bonnet of a 15 year old car! At first, I was almost tempted just to bodge the whole thing and design access to have it opened with a long handled screwdriver!

Awful design, but glad you got it all sorted, oh, no issue whatsoever for future MOT's as long as they can open the bonnet and ensure your battery cradle hasn't rusted away LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.