Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STARTER MOTOR PROBLEM - I’ve had a total of 3 starter motors placed in 3 months

Prodigypro

Hi, please can you help me. 

I bought a 2014 Ford Fiesta ecoboost with 100k Miles back in September 2020. Now your probably questioning why I did this, I am a student and wanted a swanky titanium x. 

since purchasing this car, I have claimed on the warranty that it came with for 2 brand new starter motors and these have lasted just 8 weeks a go. 

it’s out of warranty soon and the 2nd starter has just broken so I’ve realise I need to get this sorted ASAP! 

it’s had the battery replaced too. Bump starting the car is fine and the engine runs like a dream - she just has trouble starting.

when the new starter is fitted it’s not until 6 weeks in until she struggles to start, takes a few more seconds longer and then after about 8 weeks, she refuses to start. You can here the starter making a noise for about 2 seconds, like an electrical noise, so clearly the engine is burning the starter out. 

the car is going to Ford main dealer tomorrow for diagnostics but I’d like to point him in the right way. 

AA have been out 3 times to this car and got it started by manually turning the engine over etc however they all say it’s a real head scratcher. 

PLEASE HELP!! 

23 minutes ago, Prodigypro said:

Hi, please can you help me. 

I bought a 2014 Ford Fiesta ecoboost with 100k Miles back in September 2020. Now your probably questioning why I did this, I am a student and wanted a swanky titanium x. 

since purchasing this car, I have claimed on the warranty that it came with for 2 brand new starter motors and these have lasted just 8 weeks a go. 

it’s out of warranty soon and the 2nd starter has just broken so I’ve realise I need to get this sorted ASAP! 

it’s had the battery replaced too. Bump starting the car is fine and the engine runs like a dream - she just has trouble starting.

when the new starter is fitted it’s not until 6 weeks in until she struggles to start, takes a few more seconds longer and then after about 8 weeks, she refuses to start. You can here the starter making a noise for about 2 seconds, like an electrical noise, so clearly the engine is burning the starter out. 

the car is going to Ford main dealer tomorrow for diagnostics but I’d like to point him in the right way. 

AA have been out 3 times to this car and got it started by manually turning the engine over etc however they all say it’s a real head scratcher. 

PLEASE HELP!! 

It makes me wonder if there is a high resistance on the earthing side of the starter. So gradually the armature on the starter motor is being burned out . Unless you mean you have to crank the engine over and over before it starts putting a extra load on the stater motor. Has a meter been put between the starter motor earthing , also the live lead from the battery to the starter to see how much voltage is being drawn from the battery .

6 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

It makes me wonder if there is a high resistance on the earthing side of the starter. So gradually the armature on the starter motor is being burned out . Unless you mean you have to crank the engine over and over before it starts putting a extra load on the stater motor. Has a meter been put between the starter motor earthing , also the live lead from the battery to the starter to see how much voltage is being drawn from the battery .

There’s one other thing that’s just sprung to mind . I have known ignition switches to become sticky , although the engine starts the starter motor remains engaged in the engine . And this will quickly burn out the starter motor.

1 hour ago, Robhonda said:

Please see attached

52 minutes ago, Prodigypro said:

Please see attached

After seeing the video, it seems like the battery has drained almost flat . 
does it do this overnight, but once you have started the car it’s ok the rest of the day ?

Sounds to me as though the current to the motor is not being switched off once the engine has started. Ask the techie to check that.

39 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

After seeing the video, it seems like the battery has drained almost flat . 
does it do this overnight, but once you have started the car it’s ok the rest of the day ?

AA checked the battery and said it was all fine. I ran the car the other day for 30 mins and it wouldn’t even start after I turned it off then. The car won’t start back up after I turn the engine off after a bump start. 

36 minutes ago, tomshepp said:

Sounds to me as though the current to the motor is not being switched off once the engine has started. Ask the techie to check that.

Perfect thanks will do. It such a head ache, every 8 weeks it does this and then I get a new starter.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club