Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs

dutumarcel

Just received my service kit from eBay (A&E Motorsport, if anyone wants the seller's name). I only ordered the minor service kit but the seller also included spark plugs. While it's a lucky mistake, I do have a question.

My car is a 1.0 80 so NON turbo. The spark plug part number for my car is 1835 546. The spark plugs which I got as freebee are for the 1.0 turbo and their part number is 1770305.

When I first started doing the servicing myself on the car, I accidentally used the spark plugs for the turbo variant of the engine. Ran them for 20k miles and had no issues. When I changed them I made sure to get the correct ones for my car which I could only find on a German store.

Do you think they're the same? Should I stick with the spark plugs for the non turbo variant or are the regular 1.0 turbo spark plugs just as good? Would appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers!

_DSC5292.jpg

3 hours ago, dutumarcel said:

Just received my service kit from ebay (A&E Motorsport, if anyone wants the seller's name). I only ordered the minor service kit but the seller also included spark plugs. While it's a lucky mistake, I do have a question.

My car is a 1.0 80 so NON turbo. The spark plug part number for my car is 1835 546. The spark plugs which I got as freebee are for the 1.0 turbo and their part number is 1770305.

When I first started doing the servicing myself on the car, I accidentally used the spark plugs for the turbo variant of the engine. Ran them for 20k miles and had no issues. When I changed them I made sure to get the correct ones for my car which I could only find on a German store.

Do you think they're the same? Should I stick with the spark plugs for the non turbo variant or are the regular 1.0 turbo spark plugs just as good? Would appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers!

_DSC5292.jpg

whats the spark plug manufaurer (NKG, ect...) look at the graph on their site of the number break down, make sure the temperature of the spark plug is the same, the length, the thread, etc..., find out the right gap and gap the new spark plugs the same (if the spark plug matched your correct one's spec)

• Like 1

Thanks mate!

It was a bit tricky to find this info. I presume the manufacturer is NGK. The box has Ford branding on it saying Ford Genuine Parts made in Japan. Most car parts site do not show a lot of detail for their parts but I managed to find more detail on Online Car Parts. Basically the spark plug for the 1.0 turbo has the following specs  

• Spanner Size: 14 mm
  • Outer thread [mm]: 12,0
  • Thread Length [mm]: 25,0
  • Spark Position [mm]: 5,0

while the 1.0 NON turbo

• Spanner Size: 14 mm
  • Outer thread [mm]: 12,0
  • Thread Length [mm]: 24,0
  • Spark Position [mm]: 6,0

So they're almost identical, with the exception of the thread length and the spark position. I presume even that extra milimeter (lol) and the larger spark position make a difference. I'll just stick with the correct ones for the non turbo then. Weirdly enough, either spark plug does not come up on NGK's website.

Bummer though. Free spark plugs sounded nice haha. 😅

Cheers!

its also to do with heat ranges, the heat range of the N/A engine's spark plug appears to be 1 heat range warmer than the turbo one (7 for non turbo instead of 8 for turbo NGK)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club