Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 ST-Line Handbrake

Hello All,

First time posting here, probably a bit of a noob question, so apologies! 

Last September, I bought a new Ford Fiesta ST-Line. 

Due to the pandemic, I've barely driven it - just over 1,000 miles.

Yesterday I was stopped on a steep hill and noticed that even when the handbrake was applied, the car was slowly moving forward. Obviously was a bit shocked, but figured I just hadn't applied the HB correctly, so went back to the same hill today to double check (and more). Definitely happening.

Obviously still under warranty so just going to get it looked at, but wondered if anyone has any similar experiences? Feel like it's such an unusual issue for a brand new car that I must be overlooking something!

Thanks for any advice.

Hi David and welcome.

Don't know if it's the exact same issue, but I found with mine that the hill start assist can fool you into thinking that the handbrake is fully applied. Then when the HSA lets go after a few seconds the car can move.

The handbook does advise to press the foot brake pedal very firmly before applying the handbrake to It's full extent. This seems to work for me.

Also found with my car that there seemed a lot of free play in the handbrake before it was fully on and the dealer adjusted this for me.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi David and welcome.

Don't know if it's the exact same issue, but I found with mine that the hill start assist can fool you into thinking that the handbrake is fully applied. Then when the HSA lets go after a few seconds the car can move.

The handbook does advise to press the foot brake pedal very firmly before applying the handbrake to It's full extent. This seems to work for me.

Also found with my car that there seemed a lot of free play in the handbrake before it was fully on and the dealer adjusted this for me.

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I think pressing the brake pedal VERY firmly may be the answer actually... just after I posted this, I re-read the manual, noticed that very comment and went and tried on the steepest hill I know. Doing this, I couldn't replicate the issue from this morning. Bizarre! 

Thanks very much for pointing that out, will keep an eye on it anyway.