Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

TVs - Spot the Difference?

TomsFocus

2 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

It's a bit sparse I still like my LG remote, it's the newer smart remote not the old tiny one, like you I've always liked LG TVs toss up between LG and Samsung for me.

Yeah, I like the new LG remote tbh, felt 'right' straight away. 

Funny thing is the new remote also works with my 10 year old LG TV/Monitor.  Which was a surprise when both turned on at the same time. :laugh:  Not sure what the range is on a remote but that could be awkward for anyone with a desktop PC & monitor in the same room as their TV!

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

My Nan and Grandad used to have theirs set to the 'warmest' colour tones...  Everyone looked like David Dickinson! 

I think it's more the larger moving object, and less static peripheral vision around it, that's causing my issue.  But I did also notice the extra pixellation...reckon I could see the difference with HD at that size lol. 

I'm currently watching the Italian F1 race, I guess you'd be bent up double being ill you poor thing! 😐

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I like the new LG remote tbh, felt 'right' straight away. 

Funny thing is the new remote also works with my 10 year old LG TV/Monitor.  Which was a surprise when both turned on at the same time. :laugh:  Not sure what the range is on a remote but that could be awkward for anyone with a desktop PC & monitor in the same room as their TV!

The range is fairly long mine worjked from the bottom of the garden,  great for annoying the missus.

• Haha 1

So, I've been looking for a smaller Smart TV with full HD...but it seems they don't make them!

I reckon 26" would be acceptable but there aren't any.

LG make a 28" (hmm, possibly still too big) but only at 768 HD ready.

Sharp make a 1080 FHD Smart but only 24".  

Reviews for both aren't exactly great!

My current TV is a 23" M2380d with 1080 HD, scart input, decent audio and an anti-glare screen...cost £150 back in 2011.  https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2380D-led-monitor

It seems technology has moved backwards since!? :unsure:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Not for the first time. I still regret Concord being taken out of commission. Not that I ever flew it, but was nice to know it was there 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

So, I've been looking for a smaller Smart TV with full HD...but it seems they don't make them!

I reckon 26" would be acceptable but there aren't any.

LG make a 28" (hmm, possibly still too big) but only at 768 HD ready.

My current TV is a 23" M2380d with 1080 HD, scart input, decent audio and an anti-glare screen...cost £150 back in 2011.  https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2380D-led-monitor

If it's still working why change?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

If it's still working why change?

Mainly because I can't read text on it any more, often annoying on TV but makes xbox games impossible to play without keep leaning forward or getting up, not ideal on a 'bad guts' day, which is most of them at the moment.  Obviously there will have to be a size compromise now but I would prefer something bigger if possible. 

It's also not Smart so I'm having to switch on the Xbox (which takes an age to warm up) and use that to stream iPlayer or Catchup, which is then mostly drowned out by the Xbox fan noise...  Sounds as if Concord is still with us!! :laugh: 

Ultimately if I can't find anything more suitable, I will just stick with it though.

Anyone bought a tv manufactured in Britain?Like many I also have a LG but would consider buying British for British jobs 👍

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

IMHO stay away from Sharp! Slow clunky software, picture average, takes 30 seconds from turning on until you can change channel/turn volume down etc 

Daughter has bought 2 over the last couple of years, both the same problems with them. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Mainly because I can't read text on it any more, often annoying on TV but makes xbox games impossible to play without keep leaning forward or getting up, not ideal on a 'bad guts' day, which is most of them at the moment.  Obviously there will have to be a size compromise now but I would prefer something bigger if possible. 

It's also not Smart so I'm having to switch on the Xbox (which takes an age to warm up) and use that to stream iPlayer or Catchup, which is then mostly drowned out by the Xbox fan noise...  Sounds as if Concord is still with us!! :laugh: 

Ultimately if I can't find anything more suitable, I will just stick with it though.

Mmmm. If your xbox is HDMI compatible it should override the TV in HDMI 1port. 

If failing that it should be a simple select AV on the remote ? 

14 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Anyone bought a tv manufactured in Britain?Like many I also have a LG but would consider buying British for British jobs 👍

There's only one TV manufacturer left in Britain.  They were on a 'Hows it Made' programme a couple of weeks back. :smile: 

Products Archive - Cello Electronics (UK) Ltd

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wino said:

Mmmm. If your xbox is HDMI compatible it should override the TV in HDMI 1port. 

If failing that it should be a simple select AV on the remote ? 

Not sure you've understood the problem there.  If the TV was Smart I wouldn't have to switch the Xbox on at all for catchup TV, could just do it with a couple of clicks of the remote and not get deafened by the fan noise lol.

Oddly though, the HDMI never has over-ridden on this TV, always needs to swap inputs on the remote.  Possibly because it's a TV/Monitor rather than a standard TV?

No Tom, I'm losing the plot most days. I read it as your xbox was not overriding the TV 🙄Apologies for interfering 👍

• Like 1

Panasonic make a 24"...still only 720p but maybe the guide and OS are better than the Sharp?  Must admit, the guide on the new LG is slow...but I thought they all might be now.  Sync is slow compared to conventional headunits!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-TX-24JS350B-24-HD-Smart-LED-TV-Freeview-HD-/402726657791?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Panasonic make a 24"...still only 720p but maybe the guide and OS are better than the Sharp?

I have a 32" Sharp in bedroom, which I normally watch a 'Sky' feed through, but the FreeView guide irritates me as there is no 'preview' screen, so the guide is a very solitary experience! My main 43" LG screen however also does not have a preview FreeView screen, though my mum's 50" Panasonic does preview when searching through guide. Guess it's all very brand specific...

• Thanks 1

Another thing I don't like about the Sharp is that while searching through the EPG you can only skip one channel at a time. On our main TV, Samsung, you can skip the whole 'page' of channels, far easier to read and quicker in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Just tried running the Xbox at 720p, on iPlayer, Call of Duty and the 'dashboard'...

I think I can see a difference but unsure if it's a reverse placebo effect as I know I've changed it! 🤦‍♂️

There's no preview on the guide on my 23" LG, but there is on the 32" Smart LG.  I'd never really considered it to be an issue but it's probably one of those things that once you've had, always miss afterwards.

Part of my problem with buying things is that I want anything 'new' to be equal or better in every way than what it replaces.  Realistically that never happens though, something will always be worse, it just depends if there are enough betters to counteract the worses I guess... 🤔

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just tried running the Xbox at 720p, on iPlayer, Call of Duty and the 'dashboard'...

The last time I played a computer game was on my Sinclair Spectrum 128k - you have so lost me LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

The last time I played a computer game was on my Sinclair Spectrum 128k - you have so lost me LOL

Dropped the screen resolution from 1080p to 720p...as 720p would be the max of any new 24" TV (except the Sharp...which doesn't seem to have any other plus points!)

The dashboard is just what they call the home screen on the Xbox lol.

As for Call of Duty...I don't think you can have missed all of the ads for it over the last 15 years or so!! :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:05 PM, Turvey said:

IMHO stay away from Sharp! Slow clunky software, picture average, takes 30 seconds from turning on until you can change channel/turn volume down etc 

Daughter has bought 2 over the last couple of years, both the same problems with them. 

I agree with this. I feel like Sharp is a bit outdated in terms of softwares in TV's.  LG or Sony would be best based on my own experience. 

Been using an LG for my ps4 pro with an HDR and it looks perfect to me. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club