Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Filter Problem?

jrobinson

Hi,

I'm looking for some help/advise on an ongoing problem I have.  My Fiesta Zetec (2007) has been having issues with random stalls at junctions (This has pretty much stopped since and removed and cleaned the throttle body) and very slow acceleration going up to 70mph.  Also it idles erratically.  I've researched my symptoms and it appears the most likely cause is a fuel filter issue. 

Please can you tell me where the fuel filter is located and if it a difficult job to do myself.  I am by no means a mechanic but I've had some experience repairing/replacing parts.

Thanks in advance.

J.

I've heard elsewhere that it is just in front of the fuel tank which is towards the back on the passenger side.  Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

J.

11 hours ago, jrobinson said:

I've heard elsewhere that it is just in front of the fuel tank which is towards the back on the passenger side.  Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

J.

Yes, its there. Easy to reach by laying at the passenger side of the vehicle.
Pull the filter to unclip it and you press the quick release tabs in to release the pipes.
If you can raise the passenger side slightly it makes it much easier to see and get 2 hands at it. 

Being a pressurised fuel line you should remove fuse 15 and start the engine until it stalls to release the pressure.
625913070_QuickRelease.jpg.067e87908ea1b8e4c29126afd4a98297.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dan62 said:

Yes, its there. Easy to reach by laying at the passenger side of the vehicle.
Pull the filter to unclip it and you press the quick release tabs in to release the pipes.
If you can raise the passenger side slightly it makes it much easier to see and get 2 hands at it. 

Being a pressurised fuel line you should remove fuse 15 and start the engine until it stalls to release the pressure.
625913070_QuickRelease.jpg.067e87908ea1b8e4c29126afd4a98297.jpg

Thanks for the reply Dan,  do you think that this is an easy enough fix for a novice? 

2 hours ago, jrobinson said:

Thanks for the reply Dan,  do you think that this is an easy enough fix for a novice? 

Safety is important, don't do it unless the vehicle is on level ground off street, you don't want anyone bumping into the car while you're working underneath.
If you don't have an axel stand use blocks of wood and also the spare wheel underneath the vehicle to ensure that there is no chance the vehicle can fall on you. Keep the jack in place too.

The first time I changed mine I used my brothers pit but it really wasn't necessary.

This video shows exactly what you need to do apart from releasing the fuel pressure first.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dan62 said:

Safety is important, don't do it unless the vehicle is on level ground off street, you don't want anyone bumping into the car while you're working underneath.
If you don't have an axel stand use blocks of wood and also the spare wheel underneath the vehicle to ensure that there is no chance the vehicle can fall on you. Keep the jack in place too.

The first time I changed mine I used my brothers pit but it really wasn't necessary.

This video shows exactly what you need to do apart from releasing the fuel pressure first.

Thank you for the video link Dan.  It seems straightforward enough.  How do you release the fuel pressure and do I have to pressurize the fuel afterwards too?

Thanks for your time.  I appreciate you helping me out.

J.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, Dan62 said:

Just follow the instructions that Dan has posted above

27 minutes ago, unofix said:

Just follow the instructions that Dan has posted above

Yeah, I'll do that. I've ordered the filter. Thanks.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, Dan62 said:

Just an update.  My new filter came on Wednesday and I have literally just replaced it.  I took it out for a quick spin and it seems to have regained its power and is back up and running.  I followed your advice Dan and the video link and it was a simple straightforward fix.

Thanks for your help.  Appreciate it.

J.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club