Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar Help

Heidi Carter

I have had a ford towbar and ford wiring kit and trailer module connected to my 2013 CMax. There is no trailer preparation in the car. Two mechanics and Ford themselves cannot tell me what part or parts I need now as there is no trailer prep. Please can someone help or advise me this has been going on for 2 months! 

Hello Heidi and welcome to the Ford Owners Club.

Sorry to hear about the problem with your towbar. I'm just wanting to check that I understand the problem correctly.

So you have a genuine Ford Towbar, fitted at a Ford garage ? and you have the genuine Ford electrical towbar harness connected ?

Problem is that the cars towing software has not been set up ?

Or is it that you have some other issue with the towbar / electrics

Thanks for your support! 

I have a genuine towbar and genuine electrics and a trailer module fitted by a non ford mechanic. The problem seems that be there is no trailer prep in the car so nothing there already to fit into the blank grey and green sockets on the module that enable the whole system to work! I think something needs to come from the front of the car to the rear?

Does that make more sense? 

I have attached a picture now. Hope this helps!

20210423_120217.jpg

Thank you for your help! Will check what part numbers I have got as mechanic had me order parts from Ford but then he didn't seem to know what he was doing and disappeared! Why dont Ford make it easier! 

Hi Heidi, to be honest I've fitted both Ford and none Ford towbars to Ford cars in the past and by far the quickest and easiest was the real Ford kit. It is more expensive but you just go to the Ford service department, give them the VIN of the vehicle and they pull up on the parts computer the full kit needed for that vehicle.

Also note that once you have the full wiring harness installed the cars software will need updated so that it knows it now has a towbar fitted. You could possibly do it yourself if you are good with computers and like a challenge. You will need the programme 'ForScan' and a ELM327 lead.

Yes thanks I thought it would be easier getting all ford parts fitted. I will pop into Ford tomorrow and see if they can help me. Just want it finished so I can hook the hike trailer up and take my son to the New Forest!

Unofix would you know if this is the additional part that I need? It's called a CANbus extension kit (picture added)

Screenshot_20210423-184006_Chrome.jpg

Hello Heidi, I've had a good look at the kit and I'm as sure as anyone can be without seeing your car and what has been done, but yes it would be the parts I would expect.

Not to bad to install, less than a couple of hours then just programme up the BCM to activate the towing module and you should be all sorted.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help. Will let you know how it goes 🙂

• Like 1