Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very old steering oil

frund

My 2008 fiesta ,1.6 TDCI 76 k has never had a power assist oil change. Is this overdue. My wife's 1.5 ST diesel is much lighter on the steering. Suggestions please.

I don't think they even made a diesel Fiesta ST! :unsure:

If hers is a Mk8 Fiesta, it'll have full electric steering which will be lighter than your electro-hydraulic steering.

Sorry you're wrong Tom we have a ST 2017 1.5 diesel 24k 5 door, silver,  very likely with electric steering. 

My old 1.6 2008 is hydraulic and as you said heavier.  Just wondered if a oil change is needed. 

Hi frund, the quick answer is yes do the oil change it won't do any harm and will probably do some good.

The steering pumps on those Fiestas do fail due to them getting very hot because of there location in the engine bay. Changing the oil is not a difficult job just a bit messy and and when its done have both front wheels lifted off the ground so that you can turn the steering lock to lock a few times to get the air out of the rack.

29 minutes ago, frund said:

Sorry you're wrong Tom we have a ST 2017 1.5 diesel 24k 5 door, silver,  very likely with electric steering. 

My old 1.6 2008 is hydraulic and as you said heavier.  Just wondered if a oil change is needed. 

Tom is correct in that they never made a diesel Fiesta ST.

You must have an ST-Line.

In either case, yes a 2017 will be fully electric steering.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, frund said:

You sure it's not an ST-Line? 

Wrong again. It is a ST Line apologies.

Back to 1.6 TDCI 2008 mk6 fiesta.

Had a look today the reservoir is a bit difficult. On the right seen from front almost behind battery and going behind wing lining on passenger side. It seems part plastic part alloy. I may make a cake.

On further reading. My funny looking reservoir is a electric pump and reservoir, fitted to 06 to 08 models.

Ford Fiesta Mk6 06-08 Electric power steering pump & reservoir 5S61-3K514-CC

I removed wing lining earlier and saw same as above in google search. 

Yeah, it's electro-hydraulic on these.  Same as the Mk2 facelift Focus.

Not to be confused with the full hydraulic on the petrol Mk6s that cooked the fluid as it was mounted right by the engine...ST150s are particularly bad for it and there is a relocation kit available.

The EHPAS steering will be heavier than the full electric on newer cars.  I doubt you'll notice any difference in feel from a fluid change.

Thanks for that Tom.  I may change the oil although it looks clear, but as you mentioned it may not make any difference to the feel. If I do I will post back regarding any change. 

ta

• Like 1

Have you checked in the settings to see if you can change the steering assistance. I had a MK2.5 Focus with the same Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering as you and there were 3 levels of assistance that you could change via the Instrument Panel menu.  

Will have a look tomorrow although I have not stumbled on it in the past. Would be do handy.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club