Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed Sync 2.2 to 3.4. Now Black screen, no power!

Hi,

I've tried to update the Sync system in my Ford Focus MK 3.5 2017. Downloaded the update from the Ford website. Got the 3 files on a 128GB Sandisk USB 3.0 stick. Went for a 2 hour drive and assumed the update had finished by this point. Turned the car off. Came back to drive the car and I have a black screen. It seems like no power to the unit. Voice button on steering wheel doesn't work. Tried holding power button and seek. Nothing

Took it to a dealer who said it would cost £600 to get a new APIM. They are saying it looked like I had opened and played with the connections to the APIM. I have never done this. Contacted Ford customer services to complain about the update causing the SYNC system to catastrophically fail. Explained that an update should not brick the device. Imagine if Apple/Samsung/Microsoft did the same? I followed the instructions on the Ford site and left the update for longer than they state in the instructions. I'm willing to pay for labor as I don't expect the dealer to work for free but I am sticking to not paying for the part. I also have a Kuga and the update ran with no issues. (3.0 to 3.4).

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or has any solutions.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was reading other posts and saw people mentioning 3.4 and assumed this was what I downloaded from the Ford website. I have only used the available files from: https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

The about page on the system before it crashed displayed 2.2.

Thanks

Flash wouldn't cause no power issue if that's what you have. 

Does cc player make noises if you press eject?

Also before you do anything else the usb should have a log file di it will be useful to see that. 

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if it comes back to life.

There must have been corruption on the unzipping of the files once downloaded.

Ensure the disc is formatted to exFat32, re-download the files and unzip using winrar, following instructions, and try again

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. CD makes no noise. Its as if no power is going to the unit. No log file on USB. Will try the battery disconnect. The disk exFAT. Can't retry as the unit is dead. Can't tell if it reads my USB stick or not.

Thanks

if you get it working again, give this a try to update the sync unit.
NOTE: you will lose the ability to auto update through your unit and will have to manually update

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/

I do have a spare Sync3 unit lying around though to sell