Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


How do I replace j type fuses?


Recommended Posts

Hi, after some circling around I've found that the fuse for the cigar lighter on a mk7 fiesta is on the bottom row in a space space and requires a j type box fuse. I've got one and now I can't seem to install it as there are no metal prongs in the space where it should go, the fuse itself is female as is the only type it seems. 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Replace like for like. I call them little wheelie bin fuses, obviously without the wheels 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

Replace like for like. I call them little wheelie bin fuses, obviously without the wheels 😆

That's a good name for them actually haha, it's just that there's no metal inserts in the fuse port so it sits in there loose and receives no power. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is your being to gentle with it. You have to push it very firmly in to the fuse box, or your not putting the fuse back in the space it came out of

Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is it's the wrong slot...  If I'm reading it right, there wasn't a fuse in the slot and you're adding one?  There is likely to be more than one layout for the Mk7 Fiesta so you have to make sure you've got the correct diagram for your car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, TomsFocus said:

My guess is it's the wrong slot...  If I'm reading it right, there wasn't a fuse in the slot and you're adding one?  There is likely to be more than one layout for the Mk7 Fiesta so you have to make sure you've got the correct diagram for your car.

Yes there wasn’t a fuse in the position to begin with, car is second hand. The diagram in the glovebox and the Haynes manual says position 22 however this isn’t the case and is a common problem with the mk7 fiestas, the actual place is slot 30, which needs a j type fuse. The problem is, there are not the metal prongs that hold the fuse in place and I can’t find any information as to how to find them. It’s a bit of a mystery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, unofix said:

My guess is your being to gentle with it. You have to push it very firmly in to the fuse box, or your not putting the fuse back in the space it came out of

It’s not a case of pushing it in any firmer it seems, the other j type fuses are held in place my two metal prongs that slot inside each type fuse, the slot I’m trying to add my fuse to doesn’t have the metal prongs there to hold it. I can’t find a way to find them either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please post a photo of your fuse box, and mark the position of the fuse you are trying to fit. 

Does your car already have a Cigar lighter socket fitted..? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoshG13 said:

Yes there wasn’t a fuse in the position to begin with, car is second hand. The diagram in the glovebox and the Haynes manual says position 22 however this isn’t the case and is a common problem with the mk7 fiestas, the actual place is slot 30, which needs a j type fuse. The problem is, there are not the metal prongs that hold the fuse in place and I can’t find any information as to how to find them. It’s a bit of a mystery.

Prongs are only fitted to the slots for fuses - if yours doesn't have any there, it's not the right slot for your model and there won't be any wiring to it.

Haynes can be hit and miss but the glovebox diagram should be right.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the model year of your car the fuse box could only be one of 3 different types.

Box 1 = Fuse number 18 - 20 Amp.        Box 2 = Fuse number 30 - 20 Amp.         Box 3 = Fuse number 29 - 15 Amp

fuse box 1.JPG

fuse box 2.JPG

fuse box 3.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership