Do Not Sell My Personal Information

reverse sensor set up

tonyhodge

Hello

i have Ford Fiesta 2020 Limited edition only to find out it has no reverse sensors or camera. i am looking to install a electromagnetic reverse kit to the car. it looks easy to install except the electrical connection feed needs to be connected to the reverse lights which are in the tail gate. does any body no where the nearest connector block is so i can connect to it? or do i pay ford to install for 280€ .  any advice is appreciated 

thanks Tony

5 hours ago, tonyhodge said:

the electrical connection feed needs to be connected to the reverse lights which are in the tail gate.

Before wasting money on paying a Ford Stealer (francised dealer), I would try to either run a wire out of the tailgate through one of the existing cable bundles or some other way, or I would see if Haynes had a circuit diagram (a lot cheaper and maybe more long term benefit than a dealer!), or I would find out the wiring colour at the reverse lamp, and see if I could locate this wire in the harness where it comes into the car body.

4 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I would find out the wiring colour at the reverse lamp, and see if I could locate this wire in the harness where it comes into the car body

That would be the way to go. Find the wire at the point where it leaves the body and goes in to the flexible cable joint to the tailgate.

I just hope that a Fiesta 2020, is not like a Focus 2019 which uses all black wires with no identification in the tailgate

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, unofix said:

not like a Focus 2019 which uses all black wires with no identification in the tailgate

I have wondered when the 1/10th of a penny or so per wire that could be saved by leaving out the colours would be too much of a temptation for Ford!

It is possible to get cable tracers that inject a high frequency signal into a wire, then you can detect and home in onto the wire further down. Not sure if it would work on a car with so much interconnection. Also it is probably too expensive to be worth buying for an individual, so it could be a case of asking professionals if they could do it for a sensible price. But hopefully that is a hurdle that will not arise in this case!

Just had a look, it is not as rare or expensive (£18.80) as I thought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schneider-Electric-Rapitest-IMT23006-Multi-Function/dp/B00LY1CGUG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=cable+tracer&qid=1634427086&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-3

• Like 2

I have a very fine test probe almost like a needle which can push through the insulation. When I was fitting the reverse camera I needed to find the reverse light wire and found the harness in the headlining but had to test 7 wires before I got the right one.

Ford have put a tiny dot of what looks like paint on the end of the wire. Its of zero help when trying to trace a wire.

• Like 1

Read the thread about fitting a rear view camera on the mark 8 from last week. It has the circuit diagrams you need. Don't bother with the em system, keep it conventional. The parts are plentifully available secondhand and you can make it factory identical which will pay off if it ever needs attention. Ford have done the design work for you so save yourself a job.

manged to  locate the connector block for 1 side reversing lamp next to seat belt tensioner see pictures

picture 1 reverse light connector to lamp

picture 2 connector block located next to seat belt tensioner unplugged it the tried reverse light not working but opposite side is , plugged it back in light working.

will i have enough power to feed te rear parking sensor from the 1 light feed?

picture 3 some type of module located under the seat tensioner not sure what it does and would this be a problem for the electromagnetic sensor kit?

picture 4 connector block i have found next to the seat belt tensioner.

if i can use this what is the best way to connect the feed wire to the main wire harnes?

rear reverse light connector.jpeg

connector block.jpg

module under rear seat belt tensioner.jpg

connector block next to seat belt tensoiner.jpg

1 hour ago, tonyhodge said:

manged to  locate the connector block for 1 side reversing lamp next to seat belt tensioner see pictures

picture 1 reverse light connector to lamp

picture 2 connector block located next to seat belt tensioner unplugged it the tried reverse light not working but opposite side is , plugged it back in light working.

will i have enough power to feed te rear parking sensor from the 1 light feed?

picture 3 some type of module located under the seat tensioner not sure what it does and would this be a problem for the electromagnetic sensor kit?

picture 4 connector block i have found next to the seat belt tensioner.

if i can use this what is the best way to connect the feed wire to the main wire harnes?

rear reverse light connector.jpeg

connector block.jpg

module under rear seat belt tensioner.jpg

connector block next to seat belt tensoiner.jpg

picture 3 is mobile phone interface module

I would use an old fashioned Scotch block IDC connector. The red ones are usually 0.5 to 1.0mm^2, which is the typical conductor size range for reverse lamps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Trade-Direct-Scotchloks-Scotchlocks/dp/B00BBUT7BQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1523125177&sr=1-1&keywords=red+scotchlok

Some people swear by them, some people swear at them, but they have worked well for me, at least inside the car body.

will i have enough power to feed the rear parking sensor from the 1 light feed?

It is quite possible that a 2020 car has current sensing for bulb failure even on reverse lamps. This would seriously limit the current that can be drawn. I would try it. It it threw up an error, just get a relay with screw terminals to connect a suitable 12v power (rear power socket?) to the sensing module. Eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164298922654

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I would use an old fashioned Scotch block IDC connector. The red ones are usually 0.5 to 1.0mm^2, which is the typical conductor size range for reverse lamps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Trade-Direct-Scotchloks-Scotchlocks/dp/B00BBUT7BQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1523125177&sr=1-1&keywords=red+scotchlok

Some people swear by them, some people swear at them, but they have worked well for me, at least inside the car body.

It is quite possible that a 2020 car has current sensing for bulb failure even on reverse lamps. This would seriously limit the current that can be drawn. I would try it. It it threw up an error, just get a relay with screw terminals to connect a suitable 12v power (rear power socket?) to the sensing module. Eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164298922654

the live need to come from the reversing light because this will be switching the sensors on and of each time the car goes into reverse

1 hour ago, tonyhodge said:

the live need to come from the reversing light because this will be switching the sensors on and of each time the car goes into reverse

Yes, but it does not have to come directly. If the sensor module draws too much current &, say, triggers a bulb fail warning, then you can operate a low power relay from the reverse light wire, and use the relay to switch another 12v supply which is not monitored, to supply the module. It is a bit more wiring, but it is the standard way most non-OEM trailer lighting circuits work. There may well be no problem with the current being drawn from the reverse light wire, so no need for the relay. It is just a plan B.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club