Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Focus

Sally-Anne

I have a 2006 Focus Estate, for no reason in middle of night my left hand indicator was flashing and my windscreen wipers were going. Can anyone tell me what is causing this please. I got up and disconnected the battery.

The most likely reason is that the Bodywork Control Module (BCM), I think it is called General Electric Module (GEM) on that model of Focus will probably have suffered water damage or bad solder joints, either that or the Instrument Cluster is suffering from bad solder joints. Plenty of posts about both on this forum and online.

Hopefully someone reading this and has suffered the same problems as you will be able to narrow it down to which one. My gut feeling is that it is the BCM/GEM.

• Like 1

My feeling is it will be bcm which is under the glove box above front passengers feet

• Like 1

The bcm looks like a fuse box but it’s much more than that, it has circuit boards and computer chips inside and a million wires plugged into top and bottom of it

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your replies, will get hubby on to it, will let you know the outcome. Pouring with rain here at mo so will wait until it has stopped.

Hi Folks, cannot find a fuse for the indicators or windscreen wipers. have got the hand book but doesn't list a fuse for either of these. There isn't even a fuse for the hazard lights. The car also has no alarm.

There will be 2 or 3 fuse boxes in that car and there will fuses for both the wipers and indicators, probably in the one behind the glove compartment.

A faulty fuse will make them not work, it won't make them come on by themselves.

Thanks Tizer, hubby has taken the BCM out from under the passenger side and is looking rather damp, so is drying it out over next 24hours and then will put it back. Hubby has been an HGV/PCV mechanic all his working life, but doesn't do electrics 🙂.

13 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

Thanks Tizer, hubby has taken the BCM out from under the passenger side and is looking rather damp, so is drying it out over next 24hours and then will put it back. Hubby has been an HGV/PCV mechanic all his working life, but doesn't do electrics 🙂.

No problem. There was a common fault with these cars, but it may only have been MK2's where the Windscreen Washer Pump was leaking and water was making its way along the wire between the insulation and conductor and damaging BCM's. 

There should be a lot of info online.

If it has water in it, it might need taking part to dry out. I don’t know if mk2 and mk2.5 are the same.  On a mk2.5 I took the white plastic casing apart to get to the circuit boards with the computer chips on. If it’s wet in there I don’t think it will dry out inside unless you open it up.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club