Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1000 mile oil ‘flush’ with new oil - worth it?

Revatron

Hi all,

2013 1.0 (125) Titanium 

I’ve had this car a couple of years but it only ever does short drives - maybe 10 miles a day a few days a week, sometimes less than a couple of miles to Tesco and back. 
I’m overdue an oil change by 3 months (naughty I know) but have a long trip coming up as I need to drive to my parents’ place to pick some stuff up and drive back home. The trip would be about 800-1000 miles in total. 

I’ll do the oil change before I go but I’ve heard of people doing engine ‘flushes’ with new oil (rather than stuff like Wynns/STP flushes etc). 

With doing short drives all the time would it be worth putting in new oil for the long drive then changing again when I get home? Would that help shift sludge etc building up from short hops? 

Any advice appreciated. 

EDIT: adding as this may not be clear if not read properly but I DON’T plan on using engine cleaner/flush/STP/Wynns etc. I’m talking about using new oil/filter for the long drive, than changing oil/filter again when I get back. 

NO. NO.NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never ever put engine flush in am ecoboost 1.0. the flushing agents will destroy the cambelt as it's a wet belt in the engine oil

So, just just change the oil and filter with the correct grade/spec oil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT do an engine oil flush on an ecoboost engine.

If you think you would like to clean things out, then just do a regular oil and filter change a couple of times in 100 miles using the correct spec oil.

Using any kind of flushing oil on the ecoboost will destroy the wet belts.

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for the input but in my post I did say I’d not be using a ‘flush’ but using new oil.

‘ I’ll do the oil change before I go but I’ve heard of people doing engine ‘flushes’ with new oil (rather than stuff like Wynns/STP flushes etc). ’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Revatron said:

Hi all,

2013 1.0 (125) Titanium 

I’ve had this car a couple of years but it only ever does short drives - maybe 10 miles a day a few days a week, sometimes less than a couple of miles to Tesco and back. 
I’m overdue an oil change by 3 months (naughty I know) but have a long trip coming up as I need to drive to my parents’ place to pick some stuff up and drive back home. The trip would be about 800-1000 miles in total. 

I’ll do the oil change before I go but I’ve heard of people doing engine ‘flushes’ with new oil (rather than stuff like Wynns/STP flushes etc). 

With doing short drives all the time would it be worth putting in new oil for the long drive then changing again when I get home? Would that help shift sludge etc building up from short hops? 

Any advice appreciated. 

EDIT: adding as this may not be clear if not read properly but I DON’T plan on using engine cleaner/flush/STP/Wynns etc. I’m talking about using new oil/filter for the long drive, than changing oil/filter again when I get back. 
Change your oil more often if you are only doing short trips.Twice a year would be fine.I do mine twice a year.Don’t flush, you really do not need to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revatron said:

Guys, thanks for the input but in my post I did say I’d not be using a ‘flush’ but using new oil.

‘ I’ll do the oil change before I go but I’ve heard of people doing engine ‘flushes’ with new oil (rather than stuff like Wynns/STP flushes etc). ’

Change your oil more frequently if doing only short trips.I do mine twice a year.

I'd say just change the oil before you do your trip as you plan to.  Then do oil changes as per Ford's advice.

You don't need to change it again straight after your trip of 1000 miles (though no harm in doing so if that gives you peace of mind). 

• Like 1

If I drain the oil and it doesnt look too bad and there are no signs of emulsified goo when you look in the filler hole then I wouldn’t change it again until the recommended service interval

Wouldn't bother with a second change personally, though would absolutely do one before the long journey.  Just warm it up first and then drain as much as you can before refilling.

Thanks for the replies all. Will switch to twice yearly oil changes as advised. Out of interest is the theory on more oil changes due to short drives as there is more wear on shorter/cold engine drives? Is it because the oil degrades quicker due to condensation etc from the engine now warming properly?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Revatron said:

Thanks for the replies all. Will switch to twice yearly oil changes as advised. Out of interest is the theory on more oil changes due to short drives as there is more wear on shorter/cold engine drives? Is it because the oil degrades quicker due to condensation etc from the engine now warming properly?  

oil & filters are cheap,a blown engine is not.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club