Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement gearbox

charco

Recently started hearing a sound at around 45mph, more noticeable when slowing down (sounds like when I used to run a shoe on the back wheel of my bike when slowing down). I thought it might be a wheel bearing but took the car in to get looked at and they reckon the gearbox is starting to go. 

Heading in tomorrow to see what the likely cost would be but they're suggesting sourcing a second hand unit and fitting that. Anyone done this? It's a 2010 1.4 petrol.

Automatic / Manual (4,5,6 Speed) ?

Reading up more on it and I'm not convinced the garage has got this one right. The noise is still there if in gear, out of gear, clutch in, clutch out. Surely it out of gear and clutch out then there wouldn't be the noise?

I should try a different garage first.

Sounds like worn diff bearings.  Though I'd want a second opinion before going to the expense of a 'box replacement.

• Like 1

Yep, not going to rush into anything. There's definitely a noise so it's definitely something. I asked the guy in the garage how sure he was and he said very. There's little in it for him to make it up as he's not guaranteed the work. It's my usual place and they've always been good in the past.

One thing I'll do first is check the gearbox oil on the off chance it's MIA.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, charco said:

Yep, not going to rush into anything. There's definitely a noise so it's definitely something. I asked the guy in the garage how sure he was and he said very. There's little in it for him to make it up as he's not guaranteed the work. It's my usual place and they've always been good in the past.

One thing I'll do first is check the gearbox oil on the off chance it's MIA.

Yep, check gear box oil, the box end cover on mine had a slight leak, i left it for a year during covid fiasco - when i got around to replacing end with sealant i drained the box oil and there was a cups worth only. It wasn't making any noises though, there is a lower level of oil below the drain plug too.

if box is knackered then it's not a hard job to replace, if you do replace i would fit a new clutch plate and release bearing whilst in there.

box end.jpg

drain n fill.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club