Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Ford Fiesta Activ question

Rondy

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

If you really want, you can legally demand a full refund as it was 'mis-sold' which breaks consumer legislation...

Quite so. I suppose a problem could be proving who said what unless it was stipulated in writing on the order. Or you can do what a mate of mind does when speaking to dealers -  leave your phone on record in your pocket!😀

As I mentioned earlier, the Fiesta lumbar support is completely useless for my back problems anyway, though we're all different so it might help for some.

The only lumbar support I've actually found effective was the 4 way electrically adjustable variety I had on a couple of Audis.

The seats in the Focus Active are something like 18 way adjustable...  The lumbar support is honestly the worst I've had in any car!

Requirements for my health conditions were also 'forgotten' by the salesman after I'd ordered my car...and that was after I'd already had to amend the order due to researching specs myself.  I don't know why this sort of thing isn't noted against the customers name & contact details.  

Thanks both for your replies. I guess I just have to suck it up and Look on line for a back support.

On 3/16/2022 at 12:22 PM, alexp999 said:

No, cars have to default to auto lights everytime you start the car due to legislation.

Best you can do is just to turn them to parking lights after you've started and then back to normal after.

But I'd also argue that unless you are sat stationary with your headlights blaring in, then it's not really your problem. If they don't like having lights coming in through their windows even briefly they can get blackout blinds.

Is that really legislation? DRLs have to be on but not dipped beam which the auto setting controls, otherwise dipped beam would have to be on all the time, can the car change the lighting switch from off to auto itself? 

26 minutes ago, MarksST said:

switch from off to auto itself? 

Yes !!

All newer cars have switches that are electronic rather than a physical switch.

My Focus Mk4 will always put the lights back to automatic after the ignition has been turned off and back on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

My Focus Mk4 will always put the lights back to automatic after the ignition has been turned off and back on.

As does the Mk 8 Fiesta, of course. Just one more modern car thing that drives me nuts!😀

I've noticed that when I turn off the headlamps it goes into parking mode. Then when I go to lock it the dipped side lights stay on so I have to put it back into full lights auto to be able to lock the car.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Rondy said:

I've noticed that when I turn off the headlamps it goes into parking mode. Then when I go to lock it the dipped side lights stay on so I have to put it back into full lights auto to be able to lock the car.

Are you sure you're turning the knob all the way off?  It sounds like you're setting it to parking lights (previously known as side lights) which would stay on when parked.  If it's fully off (position O) none of the lights should stay on and it will revert to auto when you next start.

• Like 1

Not just follow me home lights? Do they not go off after a few seconds? Maybe check the car settings see if its on and for how long.

• Like 1

Not sure why you would be turning the knob anyway? Lights should go off when you switch off the ignition, though there may be a delay depending on setting as Alex mentions.

23 hours ago, Rondy said:

The light switch is intended to be left in the 'fully automatic' mode. There are only a few occasions when you may want to select other options but in general 'auto' does it all.

The car will always re-select fully automatic after the ignition has been turned off and back on (now required by law).

Selecting manual headlights allows the lights to stay on even when in bright daytime conditions (maybe useful for checking the bulbs). You can not switch off the ignition and lock the car leaving the headlights switched manually on. The car after a short while will switch them off to save battery power.

Selecting 'Side lights' or as they are now refereed to 'Parking lights' will allow the small lamps at the front and the rear lights to remain on when parking if required.

It should be noted that the 'Day Running Lights' (DRL) are not controlled by the light switch. They will always turn on as soon as the vehicle ignition is turned on. You can not switch the DRL's off.

Most cars now come with the  'Follow me home' headlight option turned on. With this setting active the headlights will remain on for a preset period (typically 15 seconds) after the car is locked, to allow you to walk from your car to your house. The follow me home mode is independent of the light switch and is controlled using the instrument cluster menu.

Setting the light switch to the fully off position will not turn off the DRL's and it will not turn off the follow me home headlight mode.

switch.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information, that's very useful to know. So I will leave it in the fully automatic from now on.

35 minutes ago, Rondy said:

Thanks for the information, that's very useful to know. So I will leave it in the fully automatic from now on.

Yes, best left alone unless you need to override it for some reason. 

I have found in all the cars I've had with auto lights that they sometimes switch on when I don't think it's necessary, and conversely sometimes don't come on when I think they should! So you may need to intervene occasionally.

The one thing that 'Automatic Headlights' are not good at is Fog.

I've not checked the operation on my Focus Mk4, but normally to be able to turn on the front and/or rear fog lights you have to move the headlight switch from automatic to manual headlights.

Automatic headlights get easily confused in foggy conditions, and while it is required by law in the UK to use dipped (low beam) headlights while driving in fog, the auto lights will often not turn on during the day if it is too bright.

Remember that on new cars that the front and rear fog lights are self cancelling, meaning after the ignition has been turned off the fog lights will be automatically de-selected. If you require them when you get back in the car you will have to select manual headlights, and then turn on the fog lights again.

• Like 1

Excellent tip. Thanks, I will remember that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club