Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting okay, but after start/stop only cranking

Maxskou
聽Share

I was posting in the wrong forum, new to the page, so I try here - please help.

Higuys, My聽Girlriends car is acting up!聽

Focus 1.0 2017 facelifted MK4 173.000km a lot of city driving. Car owned for 3 months馃槥

Starting as normally from home, drove 25km in city, suddenly only cranking after stopping for red light (a bit faster than usually and I worry about a blown cylinder, but why should that happen in this situation) coils and plugs were changed and car ran again for a week..聽

Today same, started at the house, went 200meters down the Street and engine stopped and didn't start again, just cranking..聽

I think it is the fuel pump, why would the start/stop initiate so shortly after starting engine first time? (cold engine) maybe just died Due to lack of fuel pressure??聽

Thanks!

So engine runs fine until stop/start activates?

Then once activated it just cranks and won't re-start?

Are you sure it's a 2017?

Are you sure it's a MK4?

MK3 2011-2014

MK3.5 (FL) 2014-2018

MK4 2018- 2022

What engine and transmission?

Are you sure Stop/Start is activating and it's not just stalling?

S/S activated is zero on tacho and green S/S illuminated

Stalled is zero on tacho, battery, low oil lamp and MIL illuminated.

If it's running fine until S/S activates, get in the habit of starting engine and switching off S/S system

Seems the OP has a rare prototype Mk4 it started life as a 2014 model but has aged to a 2017 now.

12 hours ago, unofix said:

Can not be a 2014 Focus Mk4, they didn't start to make them until late 2018, and I'm not sure why you have posted in the Ecosport forum.

So you have a 1.0 Ecoboom engine that has done 108,000 miles. Has it had a service and oil change every year from new ?

The chances are that the engine has reached the end of it's life.

As Dave has said, just turn off Stop/Start

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unofix said:

Seems the OP has a rare prototype Mk4 it started life as a 2014 model but has aged to a 2017 now.

He did say the car in question is his girlfriend's, the 2014 car is presumably his own.

3 hours ago, mjt said:

He did say the car in question is his girlfriend's, the 2014 car is presubably his own.

If you check out his other post in the Ecosport forum (don't know why he posted it there) he clearly states that聽

"My聽Girlriends car is acting up!聽

Focus 1.0 2014 early MK4 173.000km a lot of city driving."

I'm assuming the the OP has possibly just made a typo and it's a Mk3.5

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,聽

I was bor close to the car when making the post, and I remembered it as a '17..it is a 2014 mk 3.5, but facelifted, that's why I was a bit confused, I am a Mercedes owner myself, so not so much knowledge on Ford.. The engine is a 1.0 and I thought that was ecoboost, and I made the post over in ecosport, as I was tired and in a hurry, so I read it as engine forum ecoboost! 馃槈..聽

The car has now been in the workshop for 2 weeks they changed spark plugs and coils, first time it was there, that magi Ally fixe the issued, It drove one week, and suddenly again - didn't start after it was driven 150 meters down our road, from cold start. Why does it start first time kthat morning) and not when the S/S kicks in. Why would the S/S be active after 150m/1-2minutes..

To be clear, the car is dead now, doesn't start at all.聽

A Ford guy also had a look, without luck..聽

Could it be a sensor for fuel pump or something? Also sound like turning over is going a bit faster then usual - and I worried about blown cylinder, but compression was checked.聽

Thanks!聽

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any spark at the plugs when you try and start it ?

If it has fuel and a spark it will run in almost all cases, no matter how bad unless the timing is way off

yes, and they are changed for brand new ones, including coils ... 馃槙

crankshaft position sensor ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club