Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'clunking' noise from steering when at low speed

jooulez

Hi 

My 2005 (55 plate) Fusion has (of last night) acquired a clunking noise while steering at low speeds, mainly during reverse & moving off from standing still, I thought maybe it might of been the handbrake cable not disengaging in time, but decided it can't be that otherwise I wouldn't be able to move off or be difficult to move off at all.  It's perfectly alright once built up speed & don't make any noise at all whilst driving round corners even in 1st gear.

Do you think it might be bearings?  Both front wheel bearings came up as advisories on MOT in Sept. 

Thanks for any answers, they will be appreciated

Julez 

Jack it up - front that is.... and toggle wheels one hand at the bottom and one at top, that will show bearing wear and you will feel and hear the clonking if really bad.

If it as you say does it setting off from standstill without moving steering then i would say that is drop links. it links anti roll bar to upper strut. They don't last long but are cheap and easy to replace.

Top of coil strut can be a problem, as can a snapped coil spring.

Difficult to diagnose over the internet.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

If fullwavebridge's suggestion doesn't fix it, get the front UV/CV joints looked at. A quick peek at the CV boot before you do anything else may be a good indication - if they are leaking/split, then the joint has been exposed to muck/grit etc. which won't have done it much good.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club