Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blocked Windscreen Wiper Fluid Filter

LyndaM

A couple of weeks ago I filled up my windscreen wiper fluid on my 2019 Focus with pre-mixed Halfords stuff as it was getting low and it blocked the filter! Took it to my local Ford garage who told me that wiper fluid will always block the filter and to only use water to fill the reservoir. Now I live in Scotland so it can get below freezing quite often so surely this isn't good for the reservoir and pipes, it even says on the Ford site not to use just water! Phoned the garage and they're adamant about only using water. I can't imagine that water is going to get grease off the windscreen and obvs no good during the winter months but I don't want to spend £144 to replace a filter again.

Has anyone else been told this or know what on earth I'm supposed to use?

Thanks  

1 hour ago, LyndaM said:

... local Ford garage who told me that wiper fluid will always block the filter and to only use water to fill the reservoir. ...

What an awful piece of advice! You should have no issue whatsoever using a decent brand of washer concentrate (I use Halfords own brand, but there are many on the market) and dilute as necessary. During the winter, I use my concentrate neat with no dilution at all. I'm an old man, with over 4 decades of driving. Never had an issue with a blocked filter. If you bought the car used, it's possible the previous owner used contaminated water (unintentionally) which allowed bacteria to grow causing the filter issues.

Welcome to the forum...

I use regular screen wash on my mk4 focus. Triple QX the blue one usually. 

I have headlight washers so it drinks screen wash and never had a problem with the filter. 

Just water sounds like a winter disaster waiting to happen. It needs to be freeze resistant (as part of the washer fluid) to protect the pipes. 

Edited by alexp999
Not engine anti freeze!

39 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Just water sounds like a winter disaster waiting to happen. It needs anti freeze in it to protect the pipes. 

I'm sure you meant that proper 'washer fluid' will have anti freezing qualities. Engine 'anti freeze' is quite corrosive and will eat into the rubber pipes of a washer system LOL 🤣

Where is the filter? Does it stop water going into reservoir or out? Today a friend couldn’t get water into reservoir of his fiat van.  There is a filter about one inch inside the filler neck.  I said the filter seems clogged. I said get a thin paper clip, unfold it and poke the filter mesh.  This cleared it. I only ever use fluid in winter when it will freeze.  Rest of year I just use water and it does the job fine.  

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm sure you meant that proper 'washer fluid' will have anti freezing qualities. Engine 'anti freeze' is quite corrosive and will eat into the rubber pipes of a washer system LOL 🤣

Yeah I didn’t mean engine anti freeze. Just the washer fluid is itself has anti freeze in it to protect the pipes. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club