Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery voltage

聽Share

OK, so not using the chariot much these days fiesta 2019 mk8

Had the features disabled to conserve battery message the other day

Bought a charger, charged up, went for a 70 mile cruise 馃檪

noticed start stop not working

"Think" i reset battery lights on flash 5 times tap break light 5 times battery warning light flashed 3 times聽 & now neighbours think a blonde bimbo is driving my car 馃檪 start stop don't appear to be working I noticed.

checked battery with multimeter 12.38v engine not runningrunning this will probably be reoccurring seen as I hate driving, anyway to find out quickly when I need to attach the battery charger? Please

Fanks

Start/stop not working?? (it rarely does) LOL @unofix will be along shortly...

• Like 1

Have a read at this:-

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mark120160 said:

I think my start stop, has started to stop 馃檪

Stop start starting to stop is definitely preferable to the engine stopping to start!!聽 :biggrin:

The stop/start (and other things) will not work consistently because, in the quest to publish low emissions, the system does not allow your battery to be fully charged as it would cause slightly more drag on the alternator if charging fully. In most cases the system is set to charge to 80% State Of Charge (SOC) and with low temperatures and low mileage, even this figure may not be reached and so the system then switches off things that cause a significant draw on the battery such as Stop/Start and Heated Screen. However, what a number of us have done with Forscan is to change the SOC to a higher figure. I have set mine to 90%, others have set it to 95%, but it really doesn't matter. This allows the system to charge the battery more fully and all the electrical things now work consistently. As an alternative you could put the battery on a smart charger when you are not using it, as long as you remember to put the positive lead onto the battery positive and the negative lead onto a chassis earth,聽not聽the battery negative, or the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) is bypassed and the system will not know that the battery has been charged. Changing the SOC is easiest, in my view, as it's a "do it once and forget about it" job, rather than having to connect a charger every day or so. It is easy to do with Forscan, or even easier if you can find someone nearby with Forscan to do it for you. Anytime you are in Northamptonshire I can do it! I am sure there are others closer to yourselves.

17 minutes ago, Paulius55 said:

The stop/start (and other things) will not work consistently because, in the quest to publish low emissions, the system does not allow your battery to be fully charged as it would cause slightly more drag on the alternator if charging fully. In most cases the system is set to charge to 80% State Of Charge (SOC) and with low temperatures and low mileage, even this figure may not be reached and so the system then switches off things that cause a significant draw on the battery such as Stop/Start and Heated Screen. However, what a number of us have done with Forscan is to change the SOC to a higher figure. I have set mine to 90%, others have set it to 95%, but it really doesn't matter. This allows the system to charge the battery more fully and all the electrical things now work consistently. As an alternative you could put the battery on a smart charger when you are not using it, as long as you remember to put the positive lead onto the battery positive and the negative lead onto a chassis earth,聽not聽the battery negative, or the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) is bypassed and the system will not know that the battery has been charged. Changing the SOC is easiest, in my view, as it's a "do it once and forget about it" job, rather than having to connect a charger every day or so. It is easy to do with Forscan, or even easier if you can find someone nearby with Forscan to do it for you. Anytime you are in Northamptonshire I can do it! I am sure there are others closer to yourselves.

Thanks for your explanation, so is connecting negative here ok? Or just find a nut on chassis?

Thanks

20220514_102225.jpg

22 hours ago, Mark120160 said:

Thanks for your explanation, so is connecting negative here ok? Or just find a nut on chassis?

Thanks

20220514_102225.jpg

That's the correct place to connect the clip.聽 Though it doesn't look very secure at that angle, the more contact you can get between the clip and the metal the better.

• Like 1

That place is ok. If it were me and I was going to be putting a charger on regularly I would put a permanent fly lead onto the battery and chassis to make connection quicker, easier and more secure. This is what I have in my car, although since increasing the SOC to 90% I have never needed to use the charger again.

20220515_103915.jpg

• Like 1

Can the soc be increased to 90% on the mk 7.5? i have looked in forscan but couldn't find a setting to change. I know this can reduce overall battery life in some conditions but as the vehicle doesn't do many miles it shouldn't be an issue in my case. It would be nice to not need to keep topping up the battery.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club