Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake caliper piston won't go back in (with rewind tool)

M Lam

Hi 

I tried to replace my brake pad today. Unfortunately, I rewind anti-clockwise. The caliper is stuck. Anyway, I managed to rewind it later after many tries. But, it still stuck halfway. No matter how hard I try with the rewind tool. It still unable to go it. Anyone has any suggestion? Details as attached.

IMG_20220704_210344088_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220704_210336945.jpg

Have you tried opening the bleed valve to take the hydraulic pressure off of the piston while winding?

• Like 1

I know this comment is of no help.  This is the kind of reason why I prefer drums on the rear. Sometimes I see people asking about converting from rear drums to discs , I always think why?   For 99% of drivers I don’t see any advantage to rear discs over drums.     I accept that discs are essential on the front as they provide more braking force and cool better. It’s the front where the braking is mostly applied.   I realise the discs were probably on that car when bought and it was not a choice

• Like 1

If bleed screw doesn’t help I am wondering if handbrake mechanism is causing problem.   Pull cable about a bit?  Try having calliper at different angles/other way up.   Bit of a guess, not had this problem myself

• Like 1

People generally upgrade to discs for the aesthetics.  If you're fitting a nice set of alloys, tiny drums behind them do look a bit ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

People generally upgrade to discs for the aesthetics.  If you're fitting a nice set of alloys, tiny drums behind them do look a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for your advice. I found the issue. I used the left-side rewind tool on the right-side calliper. 
Silly me. I managed to fix it with the right-side rewind tool on the right-side calliper. 
Thanks everyone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, isetta said:

If bleed screw doesn’t help I am wondering if handbrake mechanism is causing problem.   Pull cable about a bit?  Try having calliper at different angles/other way up.   Bit of a guess, not had this problem myself

Thanks for your advice. I found the issue. I used the left-side rewind tool on the right-side calliper. 
Silly me. I managed to fix it with the right-side rewind tool on the right-side calliper. 
Thanks everyone. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club