Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear stick alignment! Focus 1.8 KKDA

Simmo80

Just had a gearbox replaced after old one failing. But now the gear stick when in neutral stays almost all the way to the left instead of in the middle. 

Ford focus 1.8 tdci KKDA 09

The black bracket that holds the two gear cables was bent on the replacement box. But they were bent back into original position or at least as close as possible. 

Is it the bracket or cable adjustment that needs doing? 

If I remember correctly the gearstick is actually meant to be slightly sprung loaded to the left so that it is in alignment with 1st and 3rd gears. Perhaps it is a newer gearbox than the original ?

3 hours ago, unofix said:

If I remember correctly the gearstick is actually meant to be slightly sprung loaded to the left so that it is in alignment with 1st and 3rd gears. Perhaps it is a newer gearbox than the original ?

Dont know if its newer gearbox. I got it from synetiq salvage. But before the change neutral would spring back to dead centre in between 3rd and 4th. If it is a newer box does the cables need adjustment? Or is it the spings in the weighted mechanism on top of the box? 

I always thought the Mk2 MTX75 gearboxes felt a bit weird.  Rather than a 'loose wobble' on the stick, it felt a bit resistant and would just slowly slip back to centre after release.  They all seem to be the same though so it's either the box or the stick & cable mech.

It should be centred though.  I'd say the bracket it probably still slightly bent.  There is some adjustment on the cable.  The red 'box' at the end holds a threaded bar that can be used to change the length.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I always thought the Mk2 MTX75 gearboxes felt a bit weird.  Rather than a 'loose wobble' on the stick, it felt a bit resistant and would just slowly slip back to centre after release.  They all seem to be the same though so it's either the box or the stick & cable mech.

It should be centred though.  I'd say the bracket it probably still slightly bent.  There is some adjustment on the cable.  The red 'box' at the end holds a threaded bar that can be used to change the length.

Am gonna swap bracket off old box see if that sorts it. Cos spring on stick looks fine. If that's not gonna sort it. Am thinking swap the box shifter over? Looks like a straight swap job. Anything i should be extra careful with if it comes to it? 

5 minutes ago, Simmo80 said:

Am gonna swap bracket off old box see if that sorts it. Cos spring on stick looks fine. If that's not gonna sort it. Am thinking swap the box shifter over? Looks like a straight swap job. Anything i should be extra careful with if it comes to it? 

I think it'll just be the bracket, it really does need millimeter precision.  If not, you can adjust the cable length as above.  If the cable is slightly too short, that may be pulling the stick over to one side.

• Thanks 1

Sorted it! 

Just replaced bracket that holds the gear cables and its now spot on again! Thank youTomsFocus. And everyone for your input! But while i was there i checked my tubo turbine and it feels stiff! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I think it'll just be the bracket, it really does need millimeter precision.  If not, you can adjust the cable length as above.  If the cable is slightly too short, that may be pulling the stick over to one side.

Spot on. Sorted! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club