Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 air box

glyn hannan
聽Share

Hello Fordies just a simple one, can i drill holes in my air box and allow more air in?

Why not just take the lid off and remove the filter at the same time ?

It will give the MAF sensor something to complain about 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to drill holes, remove the top or even remove the snorkel. This will draw in hot air from the engine bay (particularly with a red-hot bonnet as at the moment). Hot air is less dense so it will decrease the volume of air drawn in.

Ford are always looking for economies wherever they can find them and wouldn't have spent money on this design of airbox if it wasn't important to the functioning of the engine.

You may be able to replace the filter element with a less restrictive one though I have my doubts about the benefits of doing that.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, glyn hannan said:

Hello Fordies just a simple one, can i drill holes in my air box and allow more air in?

If you're into that sort of thing, source an 'induction' kit, or buy a K&N filter (some of them also come with a free sticker!)...

• Like 2

You 'can' if you want.聽 Will make more noise, but probably lose a bit of power.

This is also an MOT failure under the 2018 regs.聽 It's classed as tampering with an emissions system.聽 (Yes, some people still get away with it...not all MOT tests are as equal as we'd hope.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glyn hannan said:

Hi Glyn,聽

It doesn't do anything buddy, in fact, you can loose BHP from drilling and from fitting 57is.

Remember, your airbox is standard across the range, from 1.4 to 2.5cc聽 and it doesn't matter what you do, you're engine is never going to draw as much as a 2.5cc which copes with the same airbox

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

It doesn't do anything buddy, in fact, you can loose BHP from drilling and from fitting 57is.

I fitted a 'Blitz' induction kit on a previous car, it did make the most delicious noise, and added about another 40 (or was it 50??) BHP 馃ぃ

828225338_blitzaircleaner.thumb.JPG.2e8e3bfbf68f3c7fb38eaae46a23ad2f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in my NA days I ran a few cone filters...聽 K&N, Pipercross, RamAir, even tried a cheap eBay job once.聽 All for noise, the cars were never going to make power! :biggrin:

Stopped once I moved to turbo engines though.聽 Tried a Pipercross panel filter inside the the original airbox on one, but it didn't add any noise (or power!) and was hidden away so I never bothered again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

from 1.4 to 2.5cc

Are we talking model aircraft engines here? 馃ぃ

Thanks one and all for your input seems i wont get anthing from it after all but thanks everybody.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club