Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying 2009 1.6 petrol: advice please.

jaguarsimon

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this 2009 1.6 petrol estate: 

2009 Silver Ford Focus 1.6 Studio 5dr for sale for £3,395 in Widnes, Cheshire (autotrader.co.uk)

It looks very clean, with a low mileage, 68,000.

Is this car generally a good reliable one, especially the engine, or are there any known potential major faults with it, so I should avoid it?

Also the dealer has told me there is no history with the car of the cam belt being changed. Can someone confirm it does have a cam belt and what is the recommended change,, so I can ask the dealer whether they would be prepared to fit one if I buy it?

(I nearly bought a 2019 astra 1.4, but thanks to their forum they advised me the engine had known major faults and avoid at all costs. Indeed it stalled when I test drove it and the engine light came on, and it turned out it required a new engine at only 11,000 miles, so I didn't proceed, hence me asking in this forum!)

Many thanks,

Simon 

The link didn’t seem to take me to one specific car.   I don’t know the answer.  The only thing I can say is did you know that ‘Studio’ is the absolute lowest spec level.  I’m not saying don’t buy it,  but you will find it won’t have much luxuries so if there are luxuries which are must haves for you then check carefully

Looks like it's been sold already: damn! I should have been quicker. I'm not bothered about any luxuries, in fact the more basic the better. I'm just interested in reliability as it's for my dog walking business. (It was an estate). So for future reference are these engines good, and does it have a cam belt.

Not on autotrader any more, but still on their website showing as sale pending:

Used Ford Focus Estate 1.6 Studio 5dr in Widnes, Cheshire | Widnes MOT Centre Limited

I was going to see it tomorrow too, so annoyed with myself that I didn't see it earlier!

I owned a 2007 focus 1.6 for about 2 years and it was a great car it was on 75,000 miles when I brought it and done about 10,000 in it. Did not have single issue with it I had the Cambelt changed at 82,000 miles.

I had one for five years and it never let me down apart from needing the battery replaced 

Yes they have a cambelt.  The interval changes slightly depending on year on this particular engine.

However all Mk2 Focus belts have now passed the recommendation on age (8-10 years), so don't buy any without belt history or a fresh belt.

On the plus side, the belts on these are pretty simple to change.

I have two 2010 Mk2.5 autos one at 90,000 and the other at 155,000 miles. Bought second hand 6 and 8 years ago.

There has been no serious trouble with either car over the time Mrs ScaniaPBman and I have been driving them. Yes, I have changed both timing belts and replaced both batteries but that comes with using older cars.

Just remembered that during the time of our ownership one front road spring has broken and I cured a water leak from the roof. After reading the frequent posts here on failed 3 cylinder engines I am hanging on to my cars for a while yet.

My minimum spec at the time of purchase was Zetec just to get the fantastic heated front screen.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, isetta said:

‘Studio’ is the absolute lowest spec level.  

Does include the steering wheel and a drivers seat, just not much else !

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club