Do Not Sell My Personal Information

does it matter the amp on alternator 120amp vs 150amp which one i stick on my focus 1.6 tdci

fordlynx

Right my wifes focus 1.6 tdci mk3 alternator pulley destroyed itself and the belt the other day.

original alt is 120amp but i can get a second hand 150amp from a low mileage car cheap (£20.) or is it best to stick to 150 amp

9 minutes ago, fordlynx said:

Right my wifes focus 1.6 tdci mk3 alternator pulley destroyed itself and the belt the other day.

original alt is 120amp but i can get a second hand 150amp from a low mileage car cheap (£20.) or is it best to stick to 150 amp

In my day, it was quite common for guys to up rate the amp outage of the alternator to power their hyper bangin' tunes system, massive boot sub woofers etc. though cars were much simpler then. Modern cars with so many sensors, electrical reliant modules etc, not sure if this is feasible or not. Someone sensible will be along shortly...

Hello Steve, it should pose no problem fitting a higher capacity alternator. The car/battery will only draw what current that it needs from the alternator.

Replacing a 120A with a 150A will be fine. You might want to use the software FORScan to update the settings for the alternator.

• Thanks 1

ok cheers mate

ford part number is 1704768

and engineering number is AV6N-10300-DD on my original and on the 150amp is last 2 letters -GC  

On forscan like reset alternator module..??

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, fordlynx said:

On forscan like reset alternator module..??

I know this in an older thread but just in case anyone in the future comes looking for the answer.

Forscan can't go this, ELMConfig CAN though. I'm not sure about the MK3 Focus but on a MK2, the setting for alternator rating was one of the tabs within the PCM module.

Basically it's just:

1. Ignition electric ON but do NOT start the engine
  2. Connect to the car via ELMConfig
  3. Click on the PCM header/tab
  4. Click through the tabs within the PCM section until you see a setting relating to the alternator
  5. Read from the module
  6. SAVE THE CURRENT CONFIGURATION TO YOUR LAPTOP AS A BACKUP
  7. Set the alternator rating as required
  8. Write the changes to the PCM
  9. Once ELMConfig confirms a successful write, cycle the ignition electrics off and start your car
  10. Done

The above steps should make perfect sense once you're looking at ELMConfig.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club