Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


oil change indicator Focus 4


RMurphy195
 Share

Recommended Posts

Of all the damned irritating things to sort out after the dealership has had the car, this is the most frustrating!!!

On collection after its 18k service this evening my car's oil indiator was still showing its previous value of 55%. Back into reception, service manager came out to show me how to do it. He followed the instructions that are on page 324 of the owners manual. nada. Tried holding the button down for up to 10 seconds. nada. tried doing it with, and withou, the engine running - no luck. So he says never had this problem before, bring the car back, they'll put the computer on it to see whats up. I'm thinking "why didn't the mechanic flag this up?"

Now I know it can be done on this car, 'cos I had an oil change as part of the deal when I bought it last Autumn, and the oil life was reset to 100% so if they could do it then, they should be able to do it now:angry:

Since I'm going on hol next week it will have to wait but, frankly, I can't be bothered.

Warranty is up in 18 months time after which I'll be doing my own servicing - in the meantime, if someone can point me in the right direction (internet search just tells me to do what the manual says, unless there's a specfic menu item called "reset oil life" which there isn't), at least I'll know what to do next time

Thanks - Richard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


When that engined car first came out you could reset it as per the manual but I believe there was a PCM update that deliberately removed the function. It think it was only for the 1.5 Diesel engine, I can still do it in my Petrol engined car.

I think it was removed because some people were getting poor oil life, possibly because they did a lot of short journeys and were just resetting it instead of getting the oil changed.

I believe it can be reset with FORScan and there is a thread somewhere on this Forum about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the leads, may try the foot on gas pedal approach (though I don't seem to have Ford pass whatever that is). methinks another letter to Ford customer services for them to chew over while I'm on hol might be on the cards ...

The first question the service guy asked was "Have I had anything fitted". Personally I don't believe that a towbar with the software update for the electrics is going to be the root of it, but I want to avoid even getting into a "discussion" or a bill for investigation while the car is under warranty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RMurphy195 said:

Thanks for the leads, may try the foot on gas pedal approach (though I don't seem to have Ford pass whatever that is). methinks another letter to Ford customer services for them to chew over while I'm on hol might be on the cards ...

The first question the service guy asked was "Have I had anything fitted". Personally I don't believe that a towbar with the software update for the electrics is going to be the root of it, but I want to avoid even getting into a "discussion" or a bill for investigation while the car is under warranty.

By all means try it but I couldnt get it to work by using the brake and gas pedal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's either reset by the instrument cluster or it that optio. Is not showing( possible update may have removed that option) then switch ign on then brake and throttle pedel down and wait at least 30 secs or preferably a minute. There will NOT be a reset message on the cluster unlike earlier fords which did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SOLVED! And I'm amazed ...

Tried the handbook method in case the service manager had slipped up somewhere - didn't work.

Tried the brake and throttle pedal method - Bingo! so

1) Ignition on

2) select the oil life display in Setting/Information

3) Press and hold brake and throttle pedal down - after about 25-30 seconds display changes to 100%

I didn't actually start the engine during either process.

I'll just recheck over the weekend to make sure I'm not dreaming, then let the service manager know what's happened so he doesn't have to set about organising picking the car up and running the software checks. Ford need to be informed as well that their software doesn't behave as the owners manual says it should - hopefully a later software update doesn't drop me back in it.

BTW anyone know how to change the title of a thread? - I'd like to add the word "SOLVED" to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RMurphy195 said:

SOLVED! And I'm amazed ...

Tried the handbook method in case the service manager had slipped up somewhere - didn't work.

Tried the brake and throttle pedal method - Bingo! so

1) Ignition on

2) select the oil life display in Setting/Information

3) Press and hold brake and throttle pedal down - after about 25-30 seconds display changes to 100%

I didn't actually start the engine during either process.

I'll just recheck over the weekend to make sure I'm not dreaming, then let the service manager know what's happened so he doesn't have to set about organising picking the car up and running the software checks. Ford need to be informed as well that their software doesn't behave as the owners manual says it should - hopefully a later software update doesn't drop me back in it.

BTW anyone know how to change the title of a thread? - I'd like to add the word "SOLVED" to it.

Process 2 .....? How did you select oil life display in vehicle settings when it's not there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Process 2 .....? How did you select oil life display in vehicle settings when it's not there!

It is on mine, just as the owners handbook says! Yours is a 2019 model - I test drove one of those before buying the one I have and it is slightly different, assuming yours does not have the Adblue tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RMurphy195 said:

It is on mine, just as the owners handbook says! Yours is a 2019 model - I test drove one of those before buying the one I have and it is slightly different, assuming yours does not have the Adblue tank.

It used to be on mine until the car went in for the infamous software update.

You are correct, we have no adblue tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wino said:

It used to be on mine until the car went in for the infamous software update.

You are correct, we have no adblue tank.

Think I might switch off software updates, it was probably one of those that caused my problem - I don't want to be stuck with nuisance error messages when I start doing my own servicing! In the meantime another query for customer services ... (I don't mind being a pest - I'm retired so need something to do ....😉

Maybe you could write to them and pose the question? Point out that since a software update the display behaves incorrectly compared to the information published in the owners manual, and ask them why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership