Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 1.6 tdci suspension/roll bar please help locate clunking noise!

RSpilla

Hi guys, been 2 years since my last daily driver was a blue oval, I have purchased a 2011 diesel hatch, it has a few little issues but is very useable, the main issue i am having is a problem that seems to be coming from the nearside front, it will clunk when going off the kerb, it will clunk when pulling away forward after reversing, it will clunk when one side hits a pothole or a bad bit of road but does not clunk when you hit a speed bump flush (both sides evenly) - Now i have discovered when accelerating out of a bend at speed or a fast roundabout it feels like the wheel with the least amount of grip gives a bouncing/fluttering feeling until settled when out the bend, (only under hard throttle) - I have had a pry bar in the wishbones, there is no major movement and the rubbers look good. The tie-bars are intact but one is easily twistable by hand (whole front end up on axles)and the roll bar seems to be able to move side to side a few mm in the rubbers but no up/down movement. I cant see the top mounts but there is no noise turning left and right stationary, the rear dogbone gearbox mount is giving a lot of movement and that needs doing, (could that be causing the clunking?) The wheels are balanced, driveshafts arew ford items and seem ok ok. Can anybody give me any tips of what to look at next/again, visually everything looks ok except the weak tie rod which will be my first port of call i think. Also since its had the weight off the front and had a poke about, the clunking has gotten worse. LOL! Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Pilla.

17 hours ago, RSpilla said:

Hi guys, been 2 years since my last daily driver was a blue oval, I have purchased a 2011 diesel hatch, it has a few little issues but is very useable, the main issue i am having is a problem that seems to be coming from the nearside front, it will clunk when going off the kerb, it will clunk when pulling away forward after reversing, it will clunk when one side hits a pothole or a bad bit of road but does not clunk when you hit a speed bump flush (both sides evenly) - Now i have discovered when accelerating out of a bend at speed or a fast roundabout it feels like the wheel with the least amount of grip gives a bouncing/fluttering feeling until settled when out the bend, (only under hard throttle) - I have had a pry bar in the wishbones, there is no major movement and the rubbers look good. The tie-bars are intact but one is easily twistable by hand (whole front end up on axles)and the roll bar seems to be able to move side to side a few mm in the rubbers but no up/down movement. I cant see the top mounts but there is no noise turning left and right stationary, the rear dogbone gearbox mount is giving a lot of movement and that needs doing, (could that be causing the clunking?) The wheels are balanced, driveshafts arew ford items and seem ok ok. Can anybody give me any tips of what to look at next/again, visually everything looks ok except the weak tie rod which will be my first port of call i think. Also since its had the weight off the front and had a poke about, the clunking has gotten worse. LOL! Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Pilla.

Have you checked the sway bar links? They are common to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, F0CUE said:

Have you checked the sway bar links? They are common to go.

Hi bud, yes changed them out already, seems slightly better and the smaller knocks have gone but still getting a big clunk now and again, seems louder but less often now.

Had a similar thing on my daughter's 2013 Focus a few months after changing the nearside front spring and top mount (which disintegrated whilst changing the spring) and it turned out to be the top mount again. Just jack that corner up then push and pull the top of the tyre in and out to see if there is any play/knocking ??

5 hours ago, Phil3747 said:

Had a similar thing on my daughter's 2013 Focus a few months after changing the nearside front spring and top mount (which disintegrated whilst changing the spring) and it turned out to be the top mount again. Just jack that corner up then push and pull the top of the tyre in and out to see if there is any play/knocking ??

Hiya, ive just had it all apart, the front wishbone bush (the rubber one with a steel insert) could be turned 90 degrees in its housing and sounded like metal was hitting metal when moving it, its a cheap wishbone, i put it all back together with the bush turned at a different point to where it usually was and the knocking is terrible now, happening all the time, so pretty sure its that which was the issue. New wishbone ordered. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club