Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange sounds.

F0CUE

Not long after fixing my dpf Vapouriser my car has developed some sort of clunk sound which sounds like it from the passenger side. Sometimes when I start the engine I get a thud noise upon startup. When accelerating or letting off I can hear a slight clunk but not all the time. Before all the rain when it was very dry I experienced a noise when turning left like a spring pinging noise and we inspected every suspension part on the passenger side and they were all good my gf noticed the spring when turning had a vibration. Then the rain came back and that went away funny enough but not the thud or the clunk when accelerating. This is a weird one to diagnose my thoughts are the strut mount bearing but would wet less warmer weather dampen the effect?

• Sad 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:00 PM, F0CUE said:

Not long after fixing my dpf Vapouriser my car has developed some sort of clunk sound which sounds like it from the passenger side. Sometimes when I start the engine I get a thud noise upon startup. When accelerating or letting off I can hear a slight clunk but not all the time. Before all the rain when it was very dry I experienced a noise when turning left like a spring pinging noise and we inspected every suspension part on the passenger side and they were all good my gf noticed the spring when turning had a vibration. Then the rain came back and that went away funny enough but not the thud or the clunk when accelerating. This is a weird one to diagnose my thoughts are the strut mount bearing but would wet less warmer weather dampen the effect?

If the thumping started after you changed the Vaporiser them it is likely that one of the Exhaust mountings or fixings has become damaged or dislodged, either that or something that you had to remove has not been put back correctly.

The other noise could well be the Strut Bearing but personally I would not worry about it until the Struts need changed or it get worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tizer said:

If the thumping started after you changed the Vaporiser them it is likely that one of the Exhaust mountings or fixings has become damaged or dislodged, either that or something that you had to remove has not been put back correctly.

The other noise could well be the Strut Bearing but personally I would not worry about it until the Struts need changed or it get worse. 

Thanks everything is back properly and the car regens normally now. I was thinking exhaust mounts with the noise when accelerating everything seemed fine though but I will check again. At some point a lot of diesel was spilling out when a connector got broke and makes me think would it deteriorate a bush or a mount if it was not wiped off.

• 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with this. All exhaust mounts are fine. I have disconnected the sway bar links to test and still there and have tried lubricating bushes separately and testing each time. When sitting stationary reving the engine there is nothing. Once I take off from cold there is nothing to start off with then all of a sudden it clunks when taking off in low gears and it has now started making a creaking sound when coming to a stop like the weight shifting is moving something. There is also no play when grabbing the wheels in both positions.

In my experience the Mk3/3.5 has a tendency to break front springs. They both had to be replaced on our Mk3 within a few years of each other. It may not be immediately visible so worth a careful check. The pinging noise and vibration noticed by your gf would point to this being a possibility and the clunk and creaking does suggest a possible problem with the strut top bearing. This bearing started clunking after a spring was replaced on ours and I could feel it winding up the spring and loading the steering.

1 hour ago, mjt said:

In my experience the Mk3/3.5 has a tendency to break front springs. They both had to be replaced on our Mk3 within a few years of each other. It may not be immediately visible so worth a careful check. The pinging noise and vibration noticed by your gf would point to this being a possibility and the clunk and creaking does suggest a possible problem with the strut top bearing. This bearing started clunking after a spring was replaced on ours and I could feel it winding up the spring and loading the steering.

After reading this I did inspect the spring and these are smaller springs due to being the zetec s so are easier compared to the full size ones. I couldn't see anything wrong with it no cracks or splits apart from I could jiggle it side to side slightly.

5 hours ago, F0CUE said:

After reading this I did inspect the spring and these are smaller springs due to being the zetec s so are easier compared to the full size ones. I couldn't see anything wrong with it no cracks or splits apart from I could jiggle it side to side slightly.

Did you check the end of the Springs where they sit on their Seats.

If the bottom of a Spring has broken and fallen off the end of it will probably not be straight but jagged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tizer said:

Did you check the end of the Springs where they sit on their Seats.

If the bottom of a Spring has broken and fallen off the end of it will probably not be straight but jagged. 

I will check again thanks. I did find the swaybar link at the bottom was slightly floppy so replaced it. That probably contributed to another sound I had before that. TBH the bottom half where it seats was quite manky I will clean it up for better look and I did notice the powder coat at the bottom had flaked off slightly.

8 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

I will check again thanks. I did find the swaybar link at the bottom was slightly floppy so replaced it. That probably contributed to another sound I had before that. TBH the bottom half where it seats was quite manky I will clean it up for better look and I did notice the powder coat at the bottom had flaked off slightly.

Just follow the coil with your your fingers until you reach the end, it should be obvious if it has broken. The same with the top of them.

• Like 1

I am now very confused. Had a day where I had to pick up and drop people off and ever since they were in the back the noise has completely gone. Not getting my hopes up but wtf? 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club