Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 CAN communications failure

SamB7

I have a MK2 Focus 2.0 tdci that won't start.  It was driving fine and then the engine just stopped dead while doing about 100kph.  The security light on the dash is flashing 16.  Putting the dash into Test mode gives the following DTC#'s: D900, E197, D147 and E200.  My understanding is that these codes point to a CAN communication failure and the lack of comms between the PATS and the ECU is why it won't start.  I'd read that this is commonly caused by the instrument cluster so we'd taken that out and had it re-soldered and tested.  The report said that it was faulty and is now repaired and working however when reinstalled in the car there's no change, still won't start, still the same errors.  Is there anything that I need to do to reset the ecu or should it just start working once reconnected?  If it should just start working does anyone have any tips about how to narrow down where the comms failure is occurring?   Thanks

Have a read of this thread. It contains some details about using an ohmeter on the obd socket and where some of the connectors are situated.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:51 PM, SamB7 said:

The report said that it was faulty and is now repaired and working however when reinstalled in the car there's no change, still won't start, still the same errors.  Is there anything that I need to do to reset the ecu or should it just start working once reconnected?  If it should just start working does anyone have any tips about how to narrow down where the comms failure is occurring? 

I seem to recall I had to use Forscan to clear some CM-DTCs (continuous memory DTCs) after re-soldering the cluster on my car before it would start. Basic OBD scanners may not be able to do this.

The resistance test on the CAN bus (60 ohms between pins 6 & 14 on the diagnostic connector is the simplest test for an intact CAN bus, and also gives some info on the location of a fault.

There is a fair bit about that in the thread Isetta posted, and this pdf gives a bit more: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

Thanks isetta, sounds like you had a real saga sorting your brothers car.  I'll get the multimeter out and start testing.

Thanks Tdci-Peter, I'll start by testing the CAN bus and see what that tells me.  I haven't had time to look at it yet but will today.

• Like 1

A quick update, testing pins 6 and 14 in the diagnostics port with battery negative disconnected gives a steady 60 ohms.  I guess that suggests that the CAN bus is now ok.  I don't have a ELM327 adaptor so I can't clear the fault codes.  Some posts suggest they can be reset by leaving the negative disconnected over night.  I tried that last night but the faults are still present and it still won't start so I guess I best order an ELM327 adaptor.

• Like 1

I looked on the forscan site yesterday I didn't see this cable recco anywhere - today below the EX I see its listed as one to buy from the evil amazon 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

also interesting the ODBLink EX which is listed as one of the fastest affordable cables seems hard to come by with BMdiag not selling it now - something interesting going on in the world?

Recommendations

Table 4.1 - recommendations on adapters
NO - not recommended for this platform
D - recommended for diagnostic: read PID, read/reset DTC, simple service functions
C - recommended for configuration: write configuration parameters to modules, complex service functions
P - recommended for programming: complex configuration, firmware update (only for CAN )

Adapter FORScan for Windows FORScan Lite for iOS FORScan Lite for Android
OBDLink EX D, C, P NO NO
OBDLink SX D, C, P* NO NO
OBDLink LX D (if MS-CAN is not required) NO D (if MS-CAN is not required)
OBDLink MX+ D, C D D
OBDLink MX BT D, C NO D
OBDLink MX WiFi NO NO NO
ELS27 v3 D, C, P NO D
Viaken STN1170 USB D, C, P NO NO
Viaken STN1170 BT NO NO NO

* - can be modified for MS-CAN support as described here.

Only the new 'vLinker FS' cable supports 18V programming as required by some modules on vehicles 2019 onwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Botus said:

I looked on the forscan site yesterday I didn't see this cable recco anywhere - today below the EX I see its listed as one to buy from the evil amazon 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

also interesting the ODBLink EX which is listed as one of the fastest affordable cables seems hard to come by with BMdiag not selling it now - something interesting going on in the world?

Recommendations

Table 4.1 - recommendations on adapters
NO - not recommended for this platform
D - recommended for diagnostic: read PID, read/reset DTC, simple service functions
C - recommended for configuration: write configuration parameters to modules, complex service functions
P - recommended for programming: complex configuration, firmware update (only for CAN )

Adapter FORScan for Windows FORScan Lite for iOS FORScan Lite for Android
OBDLink EX D, C, P NO NO
OBDLink SX D, C, P* NO NO
OBDLink LX D (if MS-CAN is not required) NO D (if MS-CAN is not required)
OBDLink MX+ D, C D D
OBDLink MX BT D, C NO D
OBDLink MX WiFi NO NO NO
ELS27 v3 D, C, P NO D
Viaken STN1170 USB D, C, P NO NO
Viaken STN1170 BT NO NO NO

* - can be modified for MS-CAN support as described here.

That post has not been updated by FORScan for almost three years and as far as I know the vLinker people only developed the FS to be optimised for FORScan quite recently.

The vLinker FS is now one of the recommended ones on the FORScan Home page and their their Products page although the bluetooth one is not mentioned on the Home page but it is on the Products page. The bluetooth one is even newer than the USB one.

You have got to remember that FORScan is still more of a project rather than a business although they now charge a very small amount for some things to cover their development costs. If they were a business they would be charging considerably more just like the businesses in that line of business, hence why they don't put the resources into slick sales.

As far as I know the OBDLink people never had an agent in the UK, but you could still buy their things here but they were always quite expensive so maybe that is why BM Diagnostics stopped selling them.

They have come down in price recently, probably because non Americans are opting for the cheaper VLinker one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

The vLinker FX is now one of the recommended ones on the FORScan Home page and their their

Hi Tizer, I think it is now the 'vLinker FS' that is recommended by FORScan

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Tizer, I think it is now the 'vLinker FS' that is recommended by FORScan

Thanks and oops my mistake. I've edited it now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, Tizer said:

That post has not been updated by FORScan for almost three years and as far as I know the vLinker people only developed the FS to be optimised for FORScan quite recently.

The vLinker FS is now one of the recommended ones on the FORScan Home page and their their Products page although the Bluetooth one is not mentioned on the Home page but it is on the Products page. The Bluetooth one is even newer than the USB one.

You have got to remember that FORScan is still more of a project rather than a business although they now charge a very small amount for some things to cover their development costs. If they were a business they would be charging considerably more just like the businesses in that line of business, hence why they don't put the resources into slick sales.

As far as I know the OBDLink people never had an agent in the UK, but you could still buy their things here but they were always quite expensive so maybe that is why BM Diagnostics stopped selling them.

They have come down in price recently, probably because non Americans are opting for the cheaper VLinker one.

new firmware for the ODB link EX

Latest Version 5.7.0

Release Date: September 16, 2022
Level of Importance: Recommended

Download

This release fixed a bug:

• Fixed CAN baud rate divisors for PP 2D and 2F

This release also added a few new features and a few changes:

• Added support for PP 1D (ELM327 v2.0)
  • Added support for PP 1C (ELM327 v2.0)
  • Added support for PP 14 (ELM327 v2.0)
  • PP 0C accepts 00 (ELM327 v2.0)
  • ATCRA accepts don't cares (ELM327 v2.0)
  • STIP4 has lower maximum values

See obdlink_ex-changelog.txt inside the archive for detailed descriptions of the changes.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A final update on this.  I purchase an ELM327 adaptor from a local online supplier but that wouldn't work with FORScan so sent that back.  I then ordered a vLinker FS adapter and after a few weeks wait that turned up and I was able to connect to the car.  I reset the DTC codes and it fired up.  It's had a couple of test drives and so far it looks good for another half million km's

Thanks for the info on here, that made the job much easier.  In hindsight I should have started by getting the adaptor using FORScan to test it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club