Do Not Sell My Personal Information

lightweight jack recommendation

froggy8
聽Share

hi guys

as some of you may know, my mot passed few days ago.

i had to save up for that incase things needed doing but since it has passed, i will be using the money to do the service myself but to do the shock absorber i need 2 jacks, one to lift the car up and one to decompress the spring.

i really want one that is better than the jack that comes with the car and also be light enough to put in boot.

many thanks again guys 馃檪

43 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

Would have to have arms like Garth to lift that in and out of the boot.

There must be something lighter available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

apologies, i didnt think it would be that heavy as it looks kinda small.

will have another look around.

thank you.

42 minutes ago, Wino said:

image.thumb.png.e601ce21a08c5a385e20e745e66065d9.png

You shouldn't really go under a car that's only supported by a jack.聽 Would be better off buying some axle stands for that purpose.

I'd use a trolley jack for lowering and raising the rear beam but none of those are small or light.聽 There are some aluminium ones but even those are pretty big.

• Like 3

Just now, TomsFocus said:

You shouldn't really go under a car that's only supported by a jack.聽 Would be better off buying some axle stands for that purpose.

I'd use a trolley jack for lowering and raising the rear beam but none of those are small or light.聽 There are some aluminium ones but even those are pretty big.

my brother in law is coming down next week and he is lending me his axle stands.

i dont really trust my scissor jack so wanting one that i can just put in boot.

• Like 1

Don't take any chances when jacking up a car, I have seen cars rolling off jacks a few times., it does happen. The Jack supplied with the car works fine in conjunction with Axle Stands.

You can get fold up Axle Stands to keep in the car as well, that's what I do.

As well as Axle Stands put the wheel under the car somewhere where it will stop the car falling too far and if you have sturdy blocks of wood place then strategically too and put something on the front and back of the other three wheels to stop the car rolling.

If you are doing the Front Struts you will need Spring Compressors and a good tool set. There should be plenty of videos on Youtube.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Indeed, it says that jack is 6 tons! Crikey...

• Like 2

thank you guys

i will use the axle stand then use my jack to decompress the rear spring while i take the shock off.

3 hours ago, Tizer said:

Don't take any chances when jacking up a car, I have seen cars rolling off jacks a few times., it does happen. The Jack supplied with the car works fine in conjunction with Axle Stands.

You can get fold up Axle Stands to keep in the car as well, that's what I do.

As well as Axle Stands put the wheel under the car somewhere where it will stop the car falling too far and if you have sturdy blocks of wood place then strategically too and put something on the front and back of the other three wheels to stop the car rolling.

If you are doing the Front Struts you will need Spring Compressors and a good tool set. There should be plenty of videos on Youtube.

something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144232194602?hash=item2194e8a22a:g:RyAAAOSwobpgcaoi&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4HDQ1hR8iAZsDkUawj77q50rHNwHMrifGCLsKnS79WUEpBoF3EtgNyZOT7URnrpQum1kgtcY5RNyC7WuNpyTOUCyTJaQdC46CWI17xg%2B3REbZYjJjz1Vj3WgSlMAcpAeec23Ow0nngGCWjJD4HdencF6w9jUuXpeFRCFfllpgypJX6SkTCRqIhRv%2BbABjRQ3d%2F3d%2Bb9hgpL1%2FiIGlTuk2FVzUgi9ub614qDAAaOP6tbZNRLzh1Xs2fTfCtwxF4TFG9A2liyT18uXqWWChMj5wRN8ih3Atg81rhxem0kfrddN|tkp%3ABFBMpuiqp-Fg

Just now, Tizer said:

Yes, they look the same as the ones I have.

thank you

the reason i gave my axles to my brother in law is because it was awkward putting them in car but with this one, i can just leave it in car.

i am just looking at what other tools i may need, thinking about getting an impact wrench as that can be handy cant it?

1 minute ago, froggy8 said:

i am just looking at what other tools i may need, thinking about getting an impact wrench as that can be handy cant it?

It might be but it may never be needed. I don't have one, I just use a long Breaker Bar or various bits of tubing on the end of my tools if I need extra power.

Getting good quality tools is more important than getting lots of them in my opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

It might be but it may never be needed. I don't have one, I just use a long Breaker Bar or various bits of tubing on the end of my tools if I need extra power.

Getting good quality tools is more important than getting lots of them in my opinion.

good idea.

i am just trying to stock up on tools since i dont really have any.

just been recommended a case of oil filter remover, i really like how its got every sizes.

10 hours ago, froggy8 said:

just been recommended a case of oil filter remover, i really like how its got every sizes.

How many oil changes on different vehicles do you intend to do?聽 Seems a bit excessive to me unless you're setting up as a mobile mechanic.聽

I'd much rather just have one adjustable tool in the toolbox than a whole separate case of tools where I'll only use one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How many oil changes on different vehicles do you intend to do?聽 Seems a bit excessive to me unless you're setting up as a mobile mechanic.聽

I'd much rather just have one adjustable tool in the toolbox than a whole separate case of tools where I'll only use one.

you are right, i will only be doing mine. i guess i could just put that as back up for now.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club