Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random limp mode

CCCars

Been having issues lately with our 2011 facelift 1.6 TDCI where it will randomly go in to limp mode, for the first time today we managed to get some codes off it after leaving it running when we got home before plugging in the reader, here are the codes we got:-

P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

U0415 ABS

U0155 INSTRUMENT CONTROL (tacho was showing zero with engine running, pretty sure the fuel and temp gauges were at zero as well but not 100%)

U0001 HIGH SPEED CAN BUS

U0073 CONTROL MODULE COMM BUS OFF

These were all showing as pending codes and code reader showed no current codes, did a code reset and normal business was resumed.

We had this once about a year ago but after reset it has been fine but recently over the last few days this has been happening more often but after switching off all the codes vanish!

Something else I observed was that sitting in neutral it would only rev to 3000, don't know if this is normal but would have expected it to go to the red line? after all doesn't it need to go to red line for MOT smoke test?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

The presence of a CAN bus error suggests it could be the usual instrument cluster solder problem. The other codes are probably spurious.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, is this fixable any guides online? Assume the panel would have to come out does it need coding to work afterwards?

Graham

Yes, you'd have to remove the cluster. Some of us have managed to do the repair ourselves but you do need experience with soldering electronics to do it successfully. There are multiple threads on the forum about it if you do a search including this one which I started about my own occurrence of the problem. If you scroll down to my post dated June 24 I've given a brief description and some photos. There are companies who can do the repair and test the cluster, just do a search for cluster repair.

Edit: found a YouTube video here.

• Like 1

I had a fiesta 1.6tdci, I recall that it would not go above 3000rpm when in limp mode (eml on) . Driving or revving in neutral.  So the fact that you can’t rev above 3000rpm seems normal if the eml is on

Thanks all, found a few videos online and seems to be within my capabilities so next time I have a coule of days free I'll give it a look.

When would only rev to 3000 there was no MIL showing and I'd just done a reset and restarted the engine.

Graham

Modern diesels are usually rev limited when stationary.

MOT only requires a quick rev up to the governor (limiter).  The lower the manufacturer puts the limiter, the better chance it has of passing. :wink:

It's also there to stop you ripping the clutch plates apart with a hard launch in fairness.

The limiter can be removed when remapped if you want to impress 12 year olds in Maccys car park. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Tom, haven't had the car all that long and still getting to know its foibles!

Graham

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club