Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior lights

Gymfocused

Could someone please let me know what wires i tap into to add a footwell kit i bought from Autobeam? 

• 3 weeks later...

Please can someone offer some help as to which wires i need to tap into for additional lighting, thanks?

I don't think anyone knows.  Do you want them on permanently with ignition or just with the doors open?  

Door open wiring isn't as simple as it was in older cars.  A time delay and fade out complicates things.  And adding extra load to a CANBUS circuit can confuse the GEM as well.

If you just want them ignition switched, adding a dashcam style fuse-tap would be easiest, safest and easily removeable in future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't think anyone knows.  Do you want them on permanently with ignition or just with the doors open?  

Door open wiring isn't as simple as it was in older cars.  A time delay and fade out complicates things.  And adding extra load to a CANBUS circuit can confuse the GEM as well.

If you just want them ignition switched, adding a dashcam style fuse-tap would be easiest, safest and easily removeable in future.

Thanks for replying. I just want to add them into the same circuit as the factory interior lights. Nothing fancy, just on and off like the std lights. I don't have the holders or the wiring in the footwells of my car for whatever reason...

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/focus-mk2-0-st-2005-2008/products/footwell-hardwire-kit

1 hour ago, Gymfocused said:

Thanks for replying. I just want to add them into the same circuit as the factory interior lights. Nothing fancy, just on and off like the std lights. I don't have the holders or the wiring in the footwells of my car for whatever reason...

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/focus-mk2-0-st-2005-2008/products/footwell-hardwire-kit

Don't the standard interior lights have delay & fade on Mk2.5?  I might be confusing it with Mk3 now.  Although mine was a Titanium with red ambient lighting.

If they really are just simple on & off then remove the front light unit and work out which one is the power wire.  Then follow that down the windscreen pillar as far as possible.  Splice into it for power.  And then put earth to any piece of bare metal near the footwell lamps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't the standard interior lights have delay & fade on Mk2.5?  I might be confusing it with Mk3 now.  Although mine was a Titanium with red ambient lighting.

If they really are just simple on & off then remove the front light unit and work out which one is the power wire.  Then follow that down the windscreen pillar as far as possible.  Splice into it for power.  And then put earth to any piece of bare metal near the footwell lamps.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the lights have a delay before going off. Will that cause an issue with additional lighting then mate? I've always been confused by the colours of the wires on the mk2/2.5, i find that Ford didn't seem to use clear colour coding, or is that just me?

9 minutes ago, Gymfocused said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the lights have a delay before going off. Will that cause an issue with additional lighting then mate? I've always been confused by the colours of the wires on the mk2/2.5, i find that Ford didn't seem to use clear colour coding, or is that just me?

If the delay is run by CANBUS then yes, adding extra load to the circuit can cause problems.

The power wire is likely to be one piece from the front light down the front A pillar.  It could only change colour when it reached the next plug.  Always best to double check continuity back up to the plug with a multimeter though.

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If the delay is run by CANBUS then yes, adding extra load to the circuit can cause problems.

The power wire is likely to be one piece from the front light down the front A pillar.  It could only change colour when it reached the next plug.  Always best to double check continuity back up to the plug with a multimeter though.

So will i cause a short or something by wiring them into the same circuit? How else can i connect the lights if another circuit is needed please?

2 minutes ago, Gymfocused said:

So will i cause a short or something by wiring them into the same circuit? How else can i connect the lights if another circuit is needed please?

It's not a short that occurs.  The CANBUS 'detects' how much load is on the circuit.  If there's too much or too little load detected, it often just won't work at all.  

As I say though, I don't know if the Mk2.5 used CANBUS for this or not.  It would be ideal if someone else on here can confirm.  Alternatively, you could try temporarily wiring the footwell lights directly to the roof light plug.  Just to see if everything works as expected with both the roof light and the footwell lights in the same circuit.  

If you need to use a different circuit, the easiest way would be a switched live fuse tap as suggested earlier, but that wouldn't be door controlled. 

A lot of the late MK2.5s had the wiring already there, just taped back.

I know mine were on a 2011 Zetec

The easy way is to look at the colours of the wires at the roof light, find them on the BCM, test with a pin and a bulb then break in and add the footwell lamps.

If you're going to use LEDs don't worry about the extra drain on the circuit

easiest way is to piggyback of the roof courtesy light. that way they'll all run together. make sure you know which fuse theyre on.

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

A lot of the late MK2.5s had the wiring already there, just taped back.

I know mine were on a 2011 Zetec

The easy way is to look at the colours of the wires at the roof light, find them on the BCM, test with a pin and a bulb then break in and add the footwell lamps.

If you're going to use LEDs don't worry about the extra drain on the circuit

Yes, it's  an led kit from autobeam. I have checked up under the dash and I cannot see any taped up wiring, not do I have the bulb holders. I was checking for any sign of a bundle of wiring and a connector, like when I found some in the boot for a 12v socket

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club