Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot seal

Jimpster
聽Share

Are boot seals prone to leak on 2007 hatchback ? It threw it down here last night, used the car this morning and as i pulled away spotted water dribbling just after the roof liner, where it meets the tailgate. No major wet spot but it was damp in the boot at that spot. Am aware you can buy a rubber EDPM thing that you can put over the tail/roof, but am i better replacing the rubber ?

Cheers

Boot seals while not common, only tend to leak if they've had to much to drink 馃ぃ

Seal in a boot.JPG

• Haha 4

Reminded me of this joke...

An eskimo is on holiday in Wales when his car breaks down, he telephones the local garage, and a taff comes out to have a look...

He pops the bonnet up and shouts to the eskimo, "Ah, I see what you have done mate, you've blown a seal!"

"So what?" replies the eskimo, "You s**g sheep!"

馃榾

• Haha 4

Is there any adjustment on the boot hinges?聽 I remember you fitted another tailgate recently.

Door seals can get 'squashed' over a hot, dry summer...聽 I'd give it a vigorous wipe with some hot water before condemning it.聽 Unless you can see an obvious crack or deterioration at all.

Some people used to put Vaseline on door seals but I tried it once and just made a horrible greasy mess so can't say I'd recommend it.

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is there any adjustment on the boot hinges?聽 I remember you fitted another tailgate recently.

Door seals can get 'squashed' over a hot, dry summer...聽 I'd give it a vigorous wipe with some hot water before condemning it.聽 Unless you can see an obvious crack or deterioration at all.

Some people used to put Vaseline on door seals but I tried it once and just made a horrible greasy mess so can't say I'd recommend it.

TBF that was kind of my thinking and upon closer inspection the side that seems to leak the spoiler is slightly higher, i did line up the paint marks when i fitted the new tail, time to have another bash. There is a slight split in the center top but its always been there.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, that seems to be the consensus with Vaseline - greasy! LOL 馃ぃ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, that seems to be the consensus with Vaseline - greasy!

That's the wrong stuff to use. You need 'seal oil' 馃槈

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, that seems to be the consensus with Vaseline - greasy! LOL 馃ぃ

I think it's probably useful if you're crossing the Okavango Delta in a scrappy old pick-up.聽 聽Not so useful on a suburban daily. :biggrin:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club