Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Ford focus Mk3

lmr1342

Good morning all !

Ive recently purchased a ford focus 2011 MK3 1.6 ecoboost

Love the car and runs well given the age , it's done 72000 on the clock.

First time owning a ford and it could just be one of them or the age, but during a cold start, normally first of the day, it starts fine but it's Very Moody when it idles it Gose up and down very quick changing between 1000rpm to 2500rpm until it warms up , then it settles on a steady 1000rpm

Is that normal?

No, that is definitely not normal.

After a cold start the engine should be running at a steady raised idle speed (approximately 1200 to 1400 RPM). After a short period the RPM should drop to a steady idle speed. On the 1.6 ECOboost idle speed is specified to be 750 RPM ± 100 RPM.

So basically you have 2 problems:

1: Idle speed seems not to be within the specified range.
2: At raised idle the engine is not running at a steady speed.

The cause of these problems can be litterally anything. From a dirty throttle body to excessive engine wear. Further tests and diagnostics will be required to diagnose and solve the cause of the problems.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback

Next cold start I'll try and record it on my phone and post-it 

Kind regards 

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

No, that is definitely not normal.

After a cold start the engine should be running at a steady raised idle speed (approximately 1200 to 1400 RPM). After a short period the RPM should drop to a steady idle speed. On the 1.6 ECOboost idle speed is specified to be 750 RPM ± 100 RPM.

So basically you have 2 problems:

1: Idle speed seems not to be within the specified range.
2: At raised idle the engine is not running at a steady speed.

The cause of these problems can be litterally anything. From a dirty throttle body to excessive engine wear. Further tests and diagnostics will be required to diagnose and solve the cause of the problems.

Hello 

Thanks for the above 

https://youtube.com/shorts/mty8m1UtGSU?feature=share

Please see YouTube link to a recording I made , this is from a cold start,sat for around 7 hours ish, this happens, once the engine has reached temp it idles at around 700rpm which I think you said is normal.

It's just when it first starts till it's warm

Try starting with all Electrical loads switched off including Air Conditioning to see if that makes any difference, and charge the battery up fully if you can.

That is probably not the problem but worth eliminating. If the battery is low and there is a high load at start up the car will try to compensate by increasing the RPM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all 

Bit of an update I took the car back to garage as it was still under a used warranty.

Will know more later but they did identify a problem.

The service advisor was only reading off a screen but stated it was something wrong with some sort of boost pipe ?

Will know more when I pick it up but dose that sound right?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club