Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plate screw seized in the barrel housing

Mike-Mike

So I wanted to change the number plates as the old ones were looking tatty.

The screws on the rear plate had both rusted (no plastic cap), but the right hand side I couldn't move at all.

I ended up snapping the plate off to get to more of the screw-head but it had completed rusted into the barrel, and that barrel was just spinning with the screw. So I wiggled it out and got it clear.

Has anyone come across this before? What might be the proper name for the barrel-housing part? It's like a hexagonal bolt with a recess drilled for the screw.

I guess I can just take off the old foam backing and clean up the back of the boot lid and use super strong doubled sided tape but I think I'd prefer the security of the screws to stop the plate falling off!

First two pics are of the one I pulled out, the third is what the other one looks like with t he barrel in place.

image.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_7594.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7595.jpg

They have lots of different names depending on who makes them

Nutsert.JPG

• Like 1

When this happened to me I just put a nut on the inside of the boot lid.  Holding it in place why I did the screw up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

They have lots of different names depending on who makes them

Nutsert.JPG

Ah, brilliant - thank you very much! Really appreciate that.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

When this happened to me I just put a nut on the inside of the boot lid.  Holding it in place why I did the screw up. 

That's a clever idea - didn't think of that. Will have a look at that as well. Thanks v much.

2 hours ago, Mike-Mike said:

That's a clever idea - didn't think of that. Will have a look at that as well. Thanks v much.

Use a Nyloc nut as well so will never work loose

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club